Grasshopper model 729

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd guess with the cylinder not firing and the actual much lower cylinder pressures and temperatures the engine would not be damaged at this point. Pressure and splash lubrication should have kept wear to a minimum, maybe even less than the other two cylinders that were doing all the work. Really good that you discovered this too!

66vette

Threads
Thanks for all of the replies. Still waiting for a reply from Grasshopper. Got the snow blower and enclosure mounted. Now some other questions. The engine now idles very high, prior to the fix it idled low or normal in my opinion, also when you mow etc. do you run with the throttle wide open, the reason I am asking is that this engine even when it was running on two cylinders had more power and had twice the speed that my old year 2000 grasshopper had with also a 3 cylinder Kubota gas engine.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then your 2000 Grasshopper must've been very sick.

If someone set the idle with it running on two cylinders, is it reasonable to assume that the idle speed would be correspondingly higher when the third cylinder became active? It should have been readjusted at that time.

I don't know how much confidence I would have in this dealership. It would have done that at the dealership and they should have adjusted the idle without having to be told to do it.

66vette

Threads
The difference between the 2000 and the 2020 is hp 23 vs 29. I spoke with a Grasshopper Technician from the Grasshopper Factory this morning he advised that he didn't believe it hurt anything but he would have changed the oil. The muffler is now a catalytic converter and it should be alright also, he also advised that normal idle is 1600 rpm which is quite higher than what I was experiencing when it ran on two cylinders, which is to be expected.