Grasshopper 226v repower

Zukie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently repowered my 226v from 26hp commercial turf to 26hp vanguard. Everything fit perfectly, only 1 issue. The commercial turf didn’t have a solonoid on the starter the vanguard does. I’m not getting any power to the starter for some reason, only clicking at the original solonoid under the fender. Can someone point me in the right direction? TIA

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a solenoid on the starter you don't need the original starter relay. You need a cable from the battery + to the large terminal on the starter. Move the small wire on the original starting relay to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. When you turn the key to the start position you should get ~12v at the small wire.

Zukie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do I leave all the other wires on the original solenoid? Which small wire do I move to the small terminal?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The original relay will have 2 large and 1 or 2 small wires. A large wire will go from battery+ to one large terminal on the relay and another large wire from the other terminal on the relay to the starter. You need to have one large wire from battery+ to the large terminal on the starter. If you want to use the existing wires just put both large wires on the existing relay on one terminal. You are just using the relay to connect the 2 large wires together.
If there is 1 small wire on the existing solenoid it just needs to be connected to the small terminal on the new starter solenoid. This wire is what energizes the starter sole oid whe the key is turned to start. If there is a second small wire on the existing relay it is a ground wire. If both small wires disappear into a wire bundle you just need to figure out which one gets 12 volts on it when you turn the key to start.

Zukie

Forum Newbie
Threads
The original relay will have 2 large and 1 or 2 small wires. A large wire will go from battery+ to one large terminal on the relay and another large wire from the other terminal on the relay to the starter. You need to have one large wire from battery+ to the large terminal on the starter. If you want to use the existing wires just put both large wires on the existing relay on one terminal. You are just using the relay to connect the 2 large wires together.
If there is 1 small wire on the existing solenoid it just needs to be connected to the small terminal on the new starter solenoid. This wire is what energizes the starter sole oid whe the key is turned to start. If there is a second small wire on the existing relay it is a ground wire. If both small wires disappear into a wire bundle you just need to figure out which one gets 12 volts on it when you turn the key to start.

Zukie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your help, I’ll do this when I get home this evening.

J2THEN

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your help, I’ll do this when I get home this evening.
What did you end up doing? I am doing the same repower swap right now. Any pics.