Engine Grasshopper 1820

ntejensen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a grasshopper 1820 that was given to me because the engine is knocking badly.

I am assuming that it spun an main bearing, it has a briggs 18hp twin ii which was not the original so my question is should i look at repowering the mower, rebuilding this engine or just parting it out? If i can get it going it would make my 1.5 acre mow a breeze. The mower actually seems to be in good shape otherwise it actually cuts great still runs but i would assume its not far from destruction, is there an engine option that is a direct bolt in or fairly easy conversion?

MBDiagMan

Threads
I might not be the best guy to listen to because I enjoy reviving old equipment and enjoy digging deep into engines of any kind.

That said, if it were mine, I would be inside that engine trying to find the problem. What do you have to lose? If that didn't work and I was on a tight budget, I would start looking around for a used engine. There are plenty of them out there.

Hope this helps.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it knock all the time or just when you shut it down?

ntejensen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I might not be the best guy to listen to because I enjoy reviving old equipment and enjoy digging deep into engines of any kind.

That said, if it were mine, I would be inside that engine trying to find the problem. What do you have to lose? If that didn't work and I was on a tight budget, I would start looking around for a used engine. There are plenty of them out there.

Hope this helps.

Yep I'm planning to take the engine out this week, I'm hoping I can rebuild it myself.

ntejensen

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, another question does anybody know if 15hp would be enough to run this machine?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So, another question does anybody know if 15hp would be enough to run this machine?

It would run it.
I would turn the RPMs up a little. Will keep it from bogging down.

Would I go down in hp heck no. If your just mowing your yard it will be fine. And it really is better to stay with the same hp or go down a little. The rest of the mower was not made to handle more hp