grass build up on deck

AndyMan

Threads
So, if my deck is already hopelessly gunked up, to where I can get most but not all of it with my ice scraper, I assume it is too late for me to use the paint?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get the bottom of the deck where you can work on it, take your blades off, get a good stiff wire brush for a drill, put on a dust mask and goggles --- use the wire brush to take all the grass off the bottom. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

If you want to spend the time to get to good metal then you can paint it any way you want.

jimbo64

Threads
having a prob with grass building up on the deck of my jd-gt245--54 inch cut- have to put up on lift every second usage and remove the grass build up with scrapper blade or bar and hammer, it is packed so tight- first mower i have ever had that did this- any ideas on how to aliviate this . I am not cutting wet grass and the blades are sharp- cutting at 3.5 inches so not trapping it. got to be something that works. thanks-------this is getting to be pain in lower extremities:mad:

wonder if its the three blade setup thats causing the prob- mower before this was 42 " and it didn't plug up like this-was two blade setup:mad:

benski

Threads
I'll guess that a larger deck will tend to load up more quickly..not too positive on that one. Also the obvious don't mow wet or damp grass... A couple of other ideas about mower deck anti-sticking and longevity; Rhino lining, Arma-coating, or whatever local pick-up spray bed liner company is in your area will spray your deck for cheap if they are doing a batch and your deck is clean and ready to be sprayed, i.e., no prep needed. Be sure you've got any threaded holes that you're going to use plugged with a bolt or taped off. Eastwood company sells a spray undercoating used for car restoration for about $11.00/can that worked for me as well. One can covers about 7 sq. ft.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'll guess that a larger deck will tend to load up more quickly..not too positive on that one.

On my larger decks I have never had any build up problems... I mow wet grass & dry... If the ground is not saturated I have even mowed while it was raining... I am sure that the deck design has a lot to so with it but any coating or paint will polish off with normal mowing... Perhaps a powder coat would last longer, but I have never had any reason to coat my larger decks... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
I cleaned the underside this winter down to metal and brushed on a rust preventer that I bought at TSC.I also spray it with this stuff called Mo-Deck that TSC also sells.the can says the coats build up over time.so far after two cuttings and two coats seems to be working pretty good..russ