Governor adjustment help

BraytoK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a generac 33hp engine that I recently got for a song to go on a mower I have that the original generac engine seized. I got it all installed but when I started it the mower will idle. Once I move the throttle up to around half it runs pretty much wide open. I am able to bring it back to idle. I have installed a new governor gear and done a static governor adjustment and it made little difference. I believe that the governor linkage is my issue but I can't find any good photos of the governor linkage at idle and wide open throttle to compare mine to. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I attached a photo of my linkage with the throttle in idle to see if anyone had ideas

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 36

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How about supplying the model number of the engine so we can find a diagram for the engine. Seems strange there are 3 governor springs. 2 possible but 3 makes it seems like somebody had added some things

Found a diagram for a GTV990 which shows 1 governor spring. The one on the left side in your picture.

Last edited:

BraytoK

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a gtv 990 engine. And in the service manual I found it only showed 1 spring but it had the smaller silver one on it when I bought it. When I took the photo I had installed the longer silver spring to see if it was just an issue of it needing more tension but there was no change. I took both springs off later and tried it again and still had the same problem

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like either your new governor gear isn't working properly, or you didn't perform the static governor adjustment correctly. With the throttle set at fast, need to loosen the nut holding the governor arm to the shaft and then turn it what looks like clockwise in your photo.

Something else to consider, is it the correct governor spring.

BraytoK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ordered and installed a new spring today and it was slightly shorter than the one that was on it when I got it. I also found that there were washers missing on the governor linkage that was making it very loose so I installed those and redid the statis governor adjustment and it will now idle and throttle up and down properly. It seems like it was running a little high at WOT but I don't have a way to accurately check the rpms. I tried adjusting the "high speed screw" on the governor linkage but noticed no difference no matter how far I ran it in or out.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you got it. thanks for letting us know that it is working.