Export thread

Got to buy a String Trimmer

R

Rip

Since my 15 year old Stihl string trimmer got wrapped around an Oak tree this morning it doesn't start anymore. It ran well for several years and then it was having to go to the shop for something all the time.

I finally had all I could take.:confused2: My temper is short in high heat and humidity and I'm not going to spend too much time pulling on and cussing a trimmer.

Looking through Consumer Reports for info on buying a new trimmer I see that although Husqvarna and Stihl are always the highest rated chain saws, the opinions on their trimmers aren't too impressive.

Consumer Reports ranks the Stihls highly but the reviews written by folks like us say that Stihl trimmers continually have carb problems and none of the Husky trimmers are even thought to be good enough to be in the top 10 of gas powered trimmers.

I do see a lot of good reviews on Echo trimmers and think that I'll probably be looking for one as my next trimmer. They are priced about the same as the competiton.

Any advice/experience on Echo Trimmers would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rip

rekees

rekees

No opinion on Echo. Before making a decision, check out John Deere trimmers. Had one for 8 years without any problems.

173abn

173abn

can't give you any on the echos ,but I bought an FS90 Sthil bout a month ago.I hate trimming but this makes short work of it.one of my brother in laws used to sell them and he told me that this piticular model uses 4cycle technology in a 2cycle motor.I opted for the handle bar with the controls on it. russ

K

KennyV

Echo straight shaft commercial duty trimmers are absolutely the BEST...
I had several in one of my prior businesses never had any problem with them. Still have one that has to be over 25 years old, I have not used it in years but I am confident that it would start right up.
If they are still made anything like they were... you can't beat Echo.:smile: KennyV

Ric

Ric

Yea KennyV has it about right. I use the Echo SRM 210 for 2 years and do 44 lawns on a weekly basis and have never had a problem, the Echo is a great piece of equipment. :thumbsup:

N

Natureboy

Echo straight shaft. 8 years of service and still going.

M

matts420

Echo makes a excellent product. Check out the CARB rating vs the other brands. Old John Deere trimmers where made by Echo----350G 450G 240G etc. Still using these timmers.

B

Berniep

Echo SRM. Very heavy use bordering on abuse. 8 years no problems.

S

Slade

Forget Echo -- buy another Stihl.

Bought a 100 last month, what an awesome machine.

God knows why the little lady keeps firing our landscapers, but I end up maintaining a lush 5 acre front yard and Stihl (trimmer, hedger, blower, and chain saw) make it possible for an out of shape 55 y/o along with a little help from a Kubota BX2360.

B

Berniep

Forget Echo?
Why?
Got any personal experience to report?

Hand2ThePlow

Hand2ThePlow

Forget Echo -- buy another Stihl. Bought a 100 last month...

Why would anyone need 100 string trimmers?

:laughing:

R

Rip

First...thanks for everyone's help.

I went to my local Echo dealers to look at the straight shaft Echo 225 string trimmer. The salesman led me to believe that it was kind of on the lightweight side if I wanted to use it professionally or have a rough yard.

I don't plan to have to use it anywhere but at my house...and only grudgingly so there.:biggrin: My yard is bordered by woods on all sides so I have to cut into some rough stuff occasionally but I have no use for a brush cutter type trimmer.

I noticed the Echo balanced out so that the motor didn't ride against the underneath of my arm and best of all it has a 5 year warranty.

I guess the guy was trying to make sure I don't buy something I'm going to be sorry I bought. I can't see a downside myself. This trimmer gets great reviews all over.

If nothing happens, I'm planning on buying an Echo SRM 225 String Trimmer this weekend.

Rip

T

Texas Turtle

Over the course of 30 years maintaining roughly 3 acres of a 5 acre lot, the little Echo I purchased 6 years ago has out lasted everything else (McCullough, Craftsman, JD, etc.). Interestingly enough, the Echo was purchased at the local JD dealer where I bought my tractor and LT, where the salesman told me that if I bought the JD instead of the Echo, I'd be real sorry in a couple of years.

D

dourobob

Forget Echo -- buy another Stihl.
Bought a 100 last month, what an awesome machine.

Curious on both fronts
Why forget Echo
Why 100 trimmers?

G

GIG

Curious on both fronts
Why forget Echo
Why 100 trimmers?

I think slade was referring to a stihl trimmer model number (RX100). Not that he had 100 units.:smile:

B

berniebenz

Go for the lightest weight one that you can find. I still use a 30 year old Echo SRM 140DA, had to replace the flex drive shaft recently.

T

Tractor John

Redmax, I have a 4 stroke Redmax (discontinued model) 7-8 years old that will not die. still running all original parts other than string. every Stihl other than their saws and backpack blowers have had carb. problems. Echo's are good, but parts are expensive.

R

Ross

I have yet to hear a bad review about an Echo trimmer. Stihl, not so much so. Whatever you do, don't buy a featherlite. They don't last very long.

P

Purcell McCue

I bought a Kawasaki trimmer 6 years ago and it has been a wonderful investment. I have an old echo (20 yrs) and it is now tough to start, but runs well if it does start. My next if i ever need another will be a Kawasaki.

S

S_Perreault

Check out Shindaiwa

I have a T321 and now a T242 and will never buy any other brand

Just used my uncle's brand new Stihl to see how it worked and the Shindaiwa blows it away

S

S_Perreault

oops i meant T231 - no such thing as a 321 i dont think

B

bkurpis

Since my 15 year old Stihl string trimmer got wrapped around an Oak tree this mornHing it doesn't start anymore. It ran well for several years and then it was having to go to the shop for something all the time.

I finally had all I could take.:confused2: My temper is short in high heat and humidity and I'm not going to spend too much time pulling on and cussing a trimmer.

Looking through Consumer Reports for info on buying a new trimmer I see that although Husqvarna and Stihl are always the highest rated chain saws, the opinions on their trimmers aren't too impressive.

Consumer Reports ranks the Stihls highly but the reviews written by folks like us say that Stihl trimmers continually have carb problems and none of the Husky trimmers are even thought to be good enough to be in the top 10 of gas powered trimmers.

I do see a lot of good reviews on Echo trimmers and think that I'll probably be looking for one as my next trimmer. They are priced about the same as the competiton.

Any advice/experience on Echo Trimmers would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rip
has anyone seen the Honda String trimmer where the gas doesn't need to be mixed ? Has anyone heard goo or bad on them ???

lizard

lizard

Best String Trimmer is a Kawasaki staight shaft..........4,000 hours of use......beat that......original motor..........thats the beast you need........over 20 years old.

Edwards saw service

Edwards saw service

Tractor John said:
Redmax, I have a 4 stroke Redmax (discontinued model) 7-8 years old that will not die. still running all original parts other than string. every Stihl other than their saws and backpack blowers have had carb. problems. Echo's are good, but parts are expensive.

Yeah echo parts are expensive because kioritz engine parts are expensive to ship from japan haha.

W

Woody71

Bought an Echo GT-225 early last summer. Would have bought a straight shaft model had I known then what I know now. Great machine so far, very powerful, will definitely buy Echo products in the future.

Edwards saw service

Edwards saw service

Woody71 said:
Bought an Echo GT-225 early last summer. Would have bought a straight shaft model had I known then what I know now. Great machine so far, very powerful, will definitely buy Echo products in the future.

Yeah the big box brand echo models are the GT models with a flexible drive shaft and are commonly curved shaft The pro models start with SRM rather than GT. SRM models are generally straight shaft with a solid drive shaft and more for heavy duty use.

B

benski

I've got a 23 yr. old Echo curved shaft trimmer that is still chugging along. I've used Amsoil 100:1 in it since new. I might be misinformed, but I believe Echo owns Shindaiwa now. I've heard great things about the Shindaiwa line, but do not personally own any of their products.

CompactTractorFan

CompactTractorFan

We have an Echo "attachment system", and it's been great! :thumbsup: