Gearbox Oil 3461R Grasshopper Deck

edporch

Threads
I have a Grasshopper 3461R front mowing deck on a Model 727T6 machine.
I see NOTHING in the " 34 SERIES MOWER DECK MODELS 3452 and 3461" service manual about changing the gear oil in it or what type to use.
Is this REALLY a just a "use it til it dies" part as I've read a few places?
Surely there's a gear oil change interval at least?
Thanks for any info

Renchy

Threads
Still new but been researching same question thru out internet/forms and it seems the pros won't answer or can't but will point you toward the answer, because there is from regular people in this form/mechanic ?

ran

Threads
I changed the grease in mine cause I thought it was to loud and maybe they did not fill it when it left the factory. But it was full I just used regular rear end grease 80-90 wt. and it still makes a lot of noise.

Renchy

Threads
That's great. But I also discovered thru the research I performed on the form about this subject heat was also a major factor. Now prior to changing mine it was very difficult to engage the mower @ any rpm as she would die of until the motor warms up. Now after changing over to Amsoil FSYN. GEAR OIL 75W140 (about 8oz) that I put into the gear box @ idle I can engage the mower and the motor would not die but engage and it seemed much smoother. After mowing twice since the change I have to say ok.

gsim

Threads
I have 930D2, 2011 model. My gear box is cast aluminum. On either side it has a drain, plug and a 'full' plug. Had to change it last year becuse it had run dry by time I'd bought it. THE NEW UNIT, EXACT FACTORY PART FROM MISSOURI, CAME WITH ONLYL 2/3 OF THE REUIRED OIL IN IT. I had to add some to get it to ''full' mark I used 90W130 gear oil. Works and sounds great now.

Renchy

Threads
Read both of the your posts and I hope if I have to replace mine it comes a lot easier. Great info, looks like factory needs to recheck QA!

gsim

Threads
Even with it 'full', up to the 'full' plug, still 1/3 of the inside volume empty. So I doubt my filling it to 'full' plug will cause seal to leak/fail. Grasshopper ought to alter rock shield so that it has pair of 1" holes in rock shield to allow access to 'DRAIN' plug and to 'FULL' plug. That would make it far easier to do routine gearlube level check in off season when deck mtc being done. Adds unneccessary work to routine procedure to have to remove rock shield. Rock shield fits very close to the case, so access holes would nicely do the trick. Wish I'd thought of it while I had it off. Easy to cut two holes in it. Thing is only about 1/8 to 3/16 thick.