GCV 160

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
On a Husqvarna push mower (HU8004)

I've cleaned the carb 2 or 3 times now. (two good long soakings in the US cleaner). I'm getting a slow surging. When it starts, it runs great for at least 5 seconds, then surges, blows a little black smoke, then rev's up again for another 5 seconds. After a few minutes of this, it begins to surge faster until it's a normal up and down surging. It has a keihin carburetors. Is that an OEM? I can't remember ever seeing that name on any carb. Although I don't get a lot of Honda's.

Something that didn't seem normal, was under the pilot get screw, there's a pretty big hole leading to the front of the carb. It also leads to a spout beside the hole that holds the main jet. When I spray carb cleaner down through the pilot hole, it's a steady stream coming out that spout.

I know of no other reason for a surge than a lack of fuel. I've checked the gaskets (with WD40) and no change. So the only thing left is the pilot jet, right?

Good spark & compression, new fuel lines (one was collapsed). New fuel. Cleaned the screen coming out of the tank. Now there's plenty of fuel coming out of the fuel line.

I've never seen one surge like this. Run good for at least 5 seconds before it slows down.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've seen Kehin and Ruixing carbs as oems on Honda.
Does it smooth out if you choke it?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've seen Kehin and Ruixing carbs as oems on Honda.
Does it smooth out if you choke it?

Nope. It just surges a little faster.

Speaking of choke, It almost looks like it's choking too much, even when it's running. But open it up a little more and surging is faster.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Nope. It just surges a little faster.

Speaking of choke, It almost looks like it's choking too much, even when it's running. But open it up a little more and surging is faster.
Hmm.
I'd go the Rivets route.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda carbs are so cheap, I just replace them. Last one I got was $15.

I've got 2 GCV 160's carbs. But the choke mechanism is different on this one. It has the auto choke, with the two stop posts on each side of the throttle plate. Can't just change the two butterflies because of that.

CHOKE SET 16044-Z8B-901

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda carbs are so cheap, I just replace them. Last one I got was $15.

You're right. I just finally the exact part number to this carb, and getting one from Amazon (Honda OEM) or from Honda Parts nation is about the same price. After shipping they're about $25.00.

Thanks man.

I bought two of the other kind once, like 6 months ago. Was hoping I could use one of them. But nooooo...

BTW, about this problem. The darn thing is clean. SO I guessing the pilot jet could be drilled out a little? Have you ever heard one surge in 5 second intervals like that? Usually they're up and down instantly.
I'll probably experiment on it while I'm waiting on the new carb.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When it surges is the throttle butterfly opening and closing in time with the surging? If it is the pilot jet is probably not clean. Or another part of the idle circuit.