Gas trimmer attachments

mowsby

Threads
I want to get rid of the string on my gas trimmer and use blades instead. I do not want to buy a new gas trimmer. Is there some kind of attachment that will turn my string gas trimmer in to a bladed one?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes there are blade adapters ... some are as easy as getting the one made for your model... others you will have to get the pieces and make it yourself.
You will also need to get the guard/brace to go on the angle drive...
There are some models that have all the attachments as quick change and there are others that you switch out the end parts only. And there are some you should not mount anything more than what came with it...
What make & model do you have?
KennyV

dria

Threads
Can I get in on this too? I would also be interested in making that change. While we wait for mowsby can you tell me which I would do for my weed whacker? I have a Hitachi 21.1 CC Gas Line Trimmer.

Homesteader

Threads
If you put blades on your weed whacker, won't that stop you from being able to cut edges on the walkway? I thought the purpose of the whacker was to have a flexible cutting instrument.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Hitachi 21.1 CC Gas Line Trimmer.

If it is the straight shaft you should be able to do it...
If it's the curved shaft I don't think it will be able to mount.KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you put blades on your weed whacker, won't that stop you from being able to cut edges on the walkway? I thought the purpose of the whacker was to have a flexible cutting instrument.

You are right...Putting a steel blade will not give you any room for error... you would have to be rather precise in it's use... :smile:KennyV

mowsby

Threads
I went to 4 hardware stores yesterday and I found an attachment that claims to work with bent shafts. I got it home and put it on and was ready to give it a try and guess what? I did not have any gas or oil! Nothing worse then a new toy they may or may not work and not being able to play with it.

173abn

Threads
a while back there was a thread started on this and I bought a poly head for my sthil.Tried it and didn't work like I had expected it to.went back to string,bought the heaviest string sthil sells which is red in color over the orange I used to use.The red works a whole lot better than the orange and tons better than the poly blades. mowsby ,curious to know what you bought.? russ

Rose

Threads
I use my weed-whacker for edges of the lawn, and around the flowerbeds that the mower doesn't get to. I wouldn't want to put metal blades on it. I think it would be dangerous. But perhaps there is a special blade cover or something. I will admit that I have to rent a special machine to beat down the forest growth in my summer paddock. But that is only if we have a really rainy May and June, and the horses aren't able to get back there for feeding. The horses are great lawn mowers!

linda4

Threads
I believe you can buy adapters at local Home & Garden Centers that will allow you to convert your gas trimmer the way you want to, but it sounds dangerous.