Gas tank threads shot

upupandaway

Threads
I just got a 70's briggs engine(8hp updraft fyi) where the threads on the steel gas tank are messed up.
Any ideas on how to fix the threads? I was thinking if there is a pair of pliers with jaws to reform the threads...Does one exist??

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
depending on how bad they're messed up, clean up the steel good, wire brush it and clean it slather some jb weld (or steel epoxy of your choice) on it and when it starts to set up, screw the cap on and let the cap cut into the steel epoxy?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
depending on how bad they're messed up, clean up the steel good, wire brush it and clean it slather some jb weld (or steel epoxy of your choice) on it and when it starts to set up, screw the cap on and let the cap cut into the steel epoxy?
The JB will run and sag away from being nice threads to a goo glob.

What about what Scrub said but using wax paper under the cap? That way the cap could be removed and would hold the JB in place? Probably have to dig the wax paper off once the JB cures. No big deal in that.

Or use a big rubber stopper plug inside the hole?

slomo

upupandaway

Threads
The JB will run and sag away from being nice threads to a goo glob.

What about what Scrub said but using wax paper under the cap? That way the cap could be removed and would hold the JB in place? Probably have to dig the wax paper off once the JB cures. No big deal in that.

Or use a big rubber stopper plug inside the hole?

slomo
Scrub gave me an idea(Thanks Scrub) of using a "stick" adhesive being it is harder so i think would hold its shape easier than goo.
These threads are really messed up and the fact it is a tiller so it will bounce around and splash under use.
Ill try the stick in a few days.

Thanks Guys.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Ooooh, i bet that would work even better... JB Steel Stik or Permatex steel weld... or better yet, Taryl Putty :LOL:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scrub gave me an idea(Thanks Scrub) of using a "stick" adhesive being it is harder so i think would hold its shape easier than goo.
Those stick jobs are not really adhesives per say. Definitely will hold shape better though. You looking at a 2 part putty like glob of love?

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those 5 minute jobs are weak. Stay away from them if possible. Look for the old 24 hour cure stuff.

JB Stick Weld says steel then any metal?? It's also a 5 minute set 1 hour cure. 900psi

Of the sticks I would get the Tank Weld. Made for gas tanks and states lawn and garden equipment.

Capture.PNG

I

upupandaway

Threads
Slomo, the TankWeld is the type of product I was referring to. Ill look for the Tankweld type.
Sorry, I did not remember what it was called but i did see it before so Scrub reminded me of it.

I was also looking around to cut off the bent threads and found gas tank cap and bung - don't ask, i learned this phrase looking(bevis and butthead Bungholio....) I'll look into the glue idea first.

Gord Baker

Threads
If it is Brass, get a new fitting and solder it on.

upupandaway

Threads
I found a briggs gas cap online and with pliers was able to somewhat straighten out the threads. I borrowed a cap from another old beater and the threads are catching. I still need to try something to fix the not smooth edge of the tank or else gas splashing around will come drooling past the cap...
For my *other* machine's gas cap, I found out people still make metal caps. I just need to find the correct size. I am waiting for a sample to see if I found a match. Fingers crossed.