Comparison gas in oil

bullfrog

Threads
Purchased a John Deere X320 two years ago. Just noticed that gas is getting into the oil. Has anyone had this problem and what was the fix for this problem.
I appreicate any and all help with this matter.
Bullfrog

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Will need to remove the carb, clean, install a carb kit if available, or at least the float needle valve, and then change the oil, and filter if it has one.

bullfrog

Threads
Thanks lLEngine I will do that this weekend because the grass sure keeps growing in N.C
I appreciate your quick response.
Bullfrog

BBO

Threads
Thanks lLEngine I will do that this weekend because the grass sure keeps growing in N.C

He is suggesting it must be running rich, possibly even flooding itself with gas.
Has it been running rough or bad like it may be partially flooded?

bullfrog

Threads
BBO, When it's running it actually runs good. I believe the needle seat is not seating completely after shut off allowing some gas to leak into the crankcase. I am going to work on it this weekend with new needle seat and change oil and see if that solves the problem.
I apperciate your help.
Bullfrog

BBO

Threads
I am going to work on it this weekend with new needle seat and change oil and see if that solves the problem.

Ethanol in the fuel will deteriorate or gum up rubber parts.
I drive all the way across town once a month to a place that sells 100% gas to fill all my gas cans. It's about .20/gallon higher here.

bullfrog

Threads
BBO, I agree about the Ethanol in gas. From my chainsaws,trimmers,polesaw that Ethanol makes it hard to stay ahead with always having to replace place primer bulbs that the Ethanol has destroyed plus all the carburator problems that arise. I have started using gas additives that seem to help alot, but as you have stated and it makes the most sense just find a place that sell non-Ethanol gas and be done with it.
Thanks,
Bullfrog

LT1045wrh

Threads
I had an engine that gas was leaking into, but I found out too late, blew the engine. If you don't have a shut-off in the gas line, it might be wise to add one. Good luck and hope you found the source of the leak in time.
W

BBO

Threads
If you don't have a shut-off in the gas line, it might be wise to add one.

Some add the cut-off for security reasons. You try to hide it from easy view. When you park the mower, shut the valve off and wait until the engine starts to sputter before you shut the engine off with the key.
Any thief can get a mower key but with this the mower will at least not run to drive it up on a trailer.
For some situations this is a good idea; not fool proof for sure - but it might help.

bullfrog

Threads
I want to take the time to thank everyone with their great help and advice concerning the gas in oil on my JD X320. I have the problem corrected with the advice given here. I also replaced the float and needle seat, but also put in a fuel shut off valve. That was some good thinking from I believe it was BBO about locating the shut off in a area that can't be seen very easyly. Again thanks to all I am good to go for now.

Bullfrog