gas blowing out of top of carb

gmacmopar

Threads
Hello everyone I am a new guy so bare with me. I have a 1997 John Deere 425 liquid cooled v-twin mower. I went to start it and it wouldn't start I pulled the breather off and it was blowing gas out of the top of the carb. Pulled the plugs and one side was dry and the other was soaked in gas. So what is my problem I need all the help I can get. Thanks

Gmacmopar

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the float valve in the carb isn't sealing and in combination with the fuel pump is pumping fuel out of the carb. Need to remove and clean carb, and install parts as needed to fix.

gmacmopar

Threads
How do I find out what carb kit I need for this 425 engine? It was built in 1997 and I don't know where to look for other numbers on the mower.

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
John deere tends to have an exclusive on the Kaw engines used on their products, so unless you know what you are doing it is sometimes easier to just go to a JD dealer and get the parts

You will need AM117137 float repair kit, and M147958 carb mounting gasket.

Also make sure to change the oil and filter after repairing the carb, since it sounds like you may also have gas in the oil

gmacmopar

Threads
Well got the kit pretty expensive, cleaned the carb out real good no gum or varnish inside. Put it all back together I don't have a gauge or know what to set the needle valve at but put it on the engine and the same thing not quite as bad but doesn't even try to fire. With the choke closed it shoots gas and air up and out. The plugs are dry could it be the solenoid valve that is screwed into the carb? Don't know just fishin. I sprayed some gum out down the throat and flames shot out of the top of the carb. So what next guys need some help bad.

Thanx Gmacmopar

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is the oil level in the engine, and does it smell like gas. The new symptoms you describe sounds like a timing issue, where the flywheel key may have sheared. Or there is a valve not sealing problem. Either that or the needle valve isn't sealing in the carb even though it has been replaced. Also make sure there isn't gas in the float causing it to sink, and not shut off the fuel in the carb.

snapsstorer

Threads
also when you check the flywheel key, feel the sides of the key. if there is a slight ridge on the side of the key, that can throw your timing off. you will have to replace the key then

gmacmopar

Threads
also when you check the flywheel key, feel the sides of the key. if there is a slight ridge on the side of the key, that can throw your timing off. you will have to replace the key then

Well the oil level is fine and doesn't smell gassy. Fire on both sides, just puffs thru the top of the carb and doesn't try to start or even act like it will. What are the adj. screws on the carb? One I cannot turn due to some plastic piece and the other is so tight I cannot even move it with a screwdriver. There is one more but it affects the idle and no big deal. I am trying to find a print of the engine and also the keyway for the flywheel. Also how hard it is to replace the keyway on this twin cyl 20 hp Thanks everyone for your help maybe one of these days we will be mowing. Lol

gmacmopar

Threads
How hard is it to check the key in the flywheel do I have to pull the engine?