Fuel pump

Goose57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a LX 176 keep having to buy fuel pumps. The one on the side of the motor w/ three lines on it. I have bought the more expensive ones off the web with know success. Does John Deere make a better one that would last?

Honest Abe

Threads
I have a LX 176 keep having to buy fuel pumps. The one on the side of the motor w/ three lines on it. I have bought the more expensive ones off the web with know success. Does John Deere make a better one that would last?
what gas are you using, i.e. cheap ethanol laden crap. If so, try premium zero ethanol and see if the new pump lasts.....

Wrenchit

Threads
These pulse fuel pumps are all the same. The only difference is what band name you buy it from that designates the price.
I have converted many over to low-pressure electric pumps.
The only issue I had was one tractor that was left out in the rain got water in the pump and blew the fuse. I used silicone around the black part to the pump housing to waterproof it and it's still running strong.
These low-pressure pumps are on eBay for around 15 bucks.
Just search for a Kawasaki mule replacement fuel pump and you will see a bunch of them
If you leave the key on and your float valve isn't sitting properly, the gas will flood the crankcase.
A new float valve seat cured that problem. I have done 15 or 18 tractors so far and the only issue was my own 1994 GT 6000 Kohler that had a bad float valve.
I also added inline fuses and fuel shut-offs to those tractors.
No complaints from my customers.
The ethanol in the gas stiffens the flexible rubber diaphragm in the pulse pumps so they can not satisfy the amount needed to keep the engine running under a full load. The pumps are fine if you just use the pricey alcohol-free gas all the time.
Wrenchit.

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Fuel pump GT 6000.jpg
    Fuel pump GT 6000.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 1

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
John Deere does not make their fuel pumps.

And there was, at least last year, a lot of bad after market vacuum fuel pumps. Also appears to a gas additive (not the ethanol) that is destroying these pumps even in what is marketed as pure gasoline. I went thru 3 pumps on one JD S180 last year until I drained the customer's fuel and replaced the fuel I used here which is a 10% ethanol blend and the problem went away. I even took these pumps a part to see what the problem was and the check valves were severely damaged. Apparent the rubber compound they were using was a very poor grade when it came into contact with gasoline.

As for the defective vacuum pumps Rotary my distributor couldn't get the ones they were receiving to pass their internal tests. I had them on order for over 6 months when I cancelled the order and got them from another supplier.

Wrenchit

Threads
John Deere does not make their fuel pumps.

And there was, at least last year, a lot of bad after market vacuum fuel pumps. Also appears to a gas additive (not the ethanol) that is destroying these pumps even in what is marketed as pure gasoline. I went thru 3 pumps on one JD S180 last year until I drained the customer's fuel and replaced the fuel I used here which is a 10% ethanol blend and the problem went away. I even took these pumps a part to see what the problem was and the check valves were severely damaged. Apparent the rubber compound they were using was a very poor grade when it came into contact with gasoline.

As for the defective vacuum pumps Rotary my distributor couldn't get the ones they were receiving to pass their internal tests. I had them on order for over 6 months when I cancelled the order and got them from another supplier.
I had a few from my Briggs supplier that didn't last long. A weak one can also cause the engine to surge and that can drive you nuts.