fuel dumping HRN 216 PKA

1topwater

Forum Newbie
Threads
so my new (this spring) HRNPKA spills fuel out of the carb, when not running level? mowed yesterday afternoon, no change to my little lawn, except it was a little thicker, from all the rain. stopped to clean under the deck, when I leaned the mower over onto the carb side, it started to dump fuel on the lawn? also, a small part of my yard has a slight decline, and when I pushed that area (carb side down), it started to leak fuel?? after finishing the job, I pulled the air cleaner and housing off to expose, tilted the mower carb side down, and literally started dumping fuel right out of the throat of the carb???

Briantii

Threads
Never tip the mower carb side down. If you need the mower on it’s side try to run it down to less than half a tank then tip it carb side up only.

You shouldn’t see fuel escape mowing, so not sure what’s going on there unless some residual was somehow still in the air box.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you checked your engine oil for the smell of fuel? or if it is overfull?

1topwater

Forum Newbie
Threads
Never tip the mower carb side down. If you need the mower on it’s side try to run it down to less than half a tank then tip it carb side up only.

You shouldn’t see fuel escape mowing, so not sure what’s going on there unless some residual was somehow still in the air box.
thanks for responding, the strange thing is, I didn't tilt it that far over ?

Briantii

Threads
thanks for responding, the strange thing is, I didn't tilt it that far over ?

Yeah, I mean it’s carburetor with a traditional bowl / float setup. If you tilt it over its going to spill fuel. If you do it with the carb side down it’s just going to pour out and continue until the fuel tank is about empty. You’ll also potentially get oil from the crankcase vent in the air filter potentially ruining it. That’s why Honda says not to tilt it carb side down. Ideally run the bowl dry by idling it with the fuel shutoff before tilting it at all.

It shouldn’t be a problem for even moderate hills though.