fuel comes out when i take it from the carb

dwint

Threads
I have a 19 horse briggs 407777-0124-e1 should gas come out freely from the carb if I put the gas tank in the air .it has a fuel pump.okay heres whats going on.i bought a troy bilt 42 inch with this motor and the guy had to put gas down the carb to start it.after about three times it stayed running but only with the choke out about a inch.wasnt running good but I did get it in the truck.i figured dirt got in the carb etc.i emptied the tank put new filter on it and cleaned carb three times.when I put a steady stream of carb cleaner in the carb it runs fine telling me dirty jets or float.ive never owed any mower with a fuel pump or a carb like this so im confused.i hope its a fuel pump.what do you guys think?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

dwint

Threads
so you think I might need a carb rebuild

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes.

The float should stop the fuel when the chamber is full and this is regardless of where the fuel tank is.
I have an old push mower tank suspended from some wire I use when working on motors.

So at the least you will need to clean the carb
Putting a kit through it firs up will save you from doing the job 5 times

dwint

Threads
i think I worded my problem wrong.when I disconnect the fuel line from the carb(that connects to fuel pump)all the gas in the tank will empty.i was thinking it would only come out with the key in the start position

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuel pump is a diaphragm pump so fuel will flow by gravity through the pump just as if it wasn't there.

dwint

Threads
okay thanks,well it looks like im going to take the bowl off and see if my float is working.who knows what you buy at a flea market.the guy had around twenty and this was the only running one.it use to run by itself after gas in the carb a few times.i think from putting gas down the carb dirt went threw it because he didn't have a air cleaner on it and it was filthy

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only fuel cut off valve fitted to a mower will be under the float bowl if at all.
When I service every ride on I fit an inline fuel tap between the tank & the fuel filter.
Even if the customer does not use it as instructed at least I can turn the fuel off when I change the filter.
Mowere bought from trash & treasure markets generally have been reclaimed from the dump.
Some will start but all will have a good reason for being there.
check this motor very carefully