Export thread

Frugal

M

monica123

How frugal are you? Are you really frugal or a little or are you just a plain brand snob? My sis's ex was a total brand snob, made budgets difficult.

K

KennyV

How frugal are you?

VERY ....
:smile:KennyV

M

monica123

I am very frugal as well, I will only buy brands if they are on sale otherwise it is generic or store brand, there is not that much difference really except in my pocket book.

JDgreen

JDgreen

In these times, anyone who is not frugal is either rich, foolish, or both. When I grocery shop I stick to a list, use coupons, try to find bargains like a sale price with a bonus, example: Local Target store has a special on the cat litter we usually buy, with a $5 gift card if you bought two 40 lb boxes. I bought two, used a coupon for another $2 off and got my $5 gift card. Took the cat litter to the car, went back in, used the gift card and two more coupons for their special price on Tide liquid laundry soap. I saved roughly $8 total on the cat litter and then another $12 on the soap using all the discounts. I can't save like this often but when I can, my wife blows the savings on some worthless overpriced frill we don't need. Go figure. :biggrin:

JDgreen

JDgreen

VERY ....
:smile:KennyV

And I have, on occasion, refused to pay the inane price of $4.99 for a mower air filter. One of my old bosses loved to say: "Saving money is the retired man's full time job" Love it. :biggrin:

M

monica123

I agree you have to comparison shop and do some research before you buy anything that's pricey. Also taking advantage of coupons and specials is a necessity.

grnspot110

grnspot110

I am very frugal as well, I will only buy brands if they are on sale otherwise it is generic or store brand, there is not that much difference really except in my pocket book.

In most cases yes, but some items are not the same. Just have to try the generic to see if it works for you! ~~ grnspot110

M

monica123

I will agree, some generics are not worth the paper they are made with, and I say paper because I had a pizza once that resembled cardboard. These days I know which generics work for me and which don't.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I will agree, some generics are not worth the paper they are made with, and I say paper because I had a pizza once that resembled cardboard. These days I know which generics work for me and which don't.

Are you sure you removed the cardboard from the bottom of the pizza before you baked it? Been there, done just that....

M

Manny

I am frugal to an extent - I am not about to buy something cheap that will breakdown on me quickly and I have to replace it again, anyway. I prefer to spend just a little more for something that will last.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I am frugal to an extent - I am not about to buy something cheap that will breakdown on me quickly and I have to replace it again, anyway. I prefer to spend just a little more for something that will last.

Manny, how do we define frugal? Buying the cheapest available, which as you point out is false economy? Or do we define frugal as spending our money wisely, like using coupons, buying in bulk, shopping only for sale items, etc? Websters defines frugal as thrifty, sparing, saving, not lavish....

My vote goes to spending wisely. An example: I have a huge hand and power tool collection, but lacked an item commonly termed as a oscillating tool, and the premium brands like Rockwell and Craftsman cost about $90 and up. I am a retired carpenter and will only use such an item once in a while. But no way will I spend a lot of money for something rarely used. Menards had one in their brand for sale last week, it is fairly good quality and the sale price was $40 vs $80 regular, plus a $20 in-store rebate check. I could have purchased more costly and or more inexpensive than I did, but I balanced needs, price, and use to get what I think is a good buy. My actual price will be about $22 with tax and mail in postage.

To me, spending wisely is what frugal means.

M

monica123

Are you sure you removed the cardboard from the bottom of the pizza before you baked it? Been there, done just that....

I am sure I did remove the cardboard, it just resembled cardboard when it was baked and it didn't taste much better. I usually don't buy store frozen pizza anymore.

I too shop wisely, buy stuff on sale, plan for bigger purchases and think things out before we purchase them.