Export thread

Front wheel grease

rbsmith6

rbsmith6

How often should the front wheels be greased? I don't see any direction in the owners manual.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Front castor wheels and spindles daily.

T

turboawd

can you even grease the spindles? i dont remember seeing grease zerks.

B

bertsmobile1

On the inside of the wheel usually where the spindle & flange meet, through the weld.
Some wheel have em & some don't.
Do it regularly & it is just 1 stroke of the gun and best done with the mower jacked up so there is no weight on the wheels.

D

Dorians

How is the grease going to penetrate the bearing when unit is sealed for maintenance free operation. I understand hitting the grease zerks in front end.

B

bertsmobile1

It doesn't.
Like grease in a blade spindle housing with doubled sealed bearings at both ends, it fills the void preventing water getting into there.
It stops the axel from rusting so you can get the wheel off when you need to fix a flat.

reynoldston

reynoldston

can you even grease the spindles? i dont remember seeing grease zerks.

No zerk fitting no grease. Just run it till it wears out and replace with new. $$$

rbsmith6

rbsmith6

My Axel has zerk fittings on it.

reynoldston

reynoldston

My mower has a decal that says lube daily. I would say one pump of grease daily depending how much you mow. I lube mine once a week.

rbsmith6

rbsmith6

For those of you that are following the thread. I received a note directly from Hustler stating that the axles should be greased when the oil is changed. I did grease mine at about 10 hours. They both took an awful lot of grease before they were full.

B

bertsmobile1

FWIW, the seals on bearings are just dust seals they do not stop water being forced or drawn into the bearing.
Some states ( California or instance ) appear not to allow zerks to be fitted guess is to prevent grease falling into the lawn.
I have noticed the Californian mowers that get imported into Aust do not have zerks while the general USA models do have zerks so guess it is an EPA thing.
A few Toros I have serviced had bolts fitted that I was suppose to remove, fit a zerk, apply grease then replace the bolt Californian Time Masters
The same mower without a warning sticker "not to be used or sold in California" has zerks fitted

Bert- Yep sounds like Cali.

T

turboawd

damn, cali is really something.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I don't understand what the fuss is about California. They seem to understand we need to keep our environment clean or we will lose it. Its time we all wake up and understand this. Do you just dump your old oil and grease on your lawn?? Yes just a small amount but through many years it become a large amount.

B

bertsmobile1

I think I have already answered this in another post so won't do it again.

The problem is people making legislation who have no idea about what they are legislating against and are just playing popularist pollitics while actually making total pollution far worse.
I had a very public arguement with one of the groups down here who consider themselves to be consummer advocates.
They are working tooth and nail to get all 2 cycle engines banned and ultimately all fuel powered "dirty" lawn care products replaced with nice clean electric ones.
Ultimately the person conceeded ( in private ) that they wer wrong, but the campaign continues ( because it is trendy )
What was calculated,
1) if every house in Sydney ( 400,000 ) of them ran their 2 stroke mowers all day ( full 24 hours ) the amount of pollution was the same as 1 jumbo jet ( 4 engine ) taking off from Mascot airport.
Mascot has 150 take off a day.
2) the embedded pollution in a battery powered mower is greater than the embedded pollution is a petrol powered 2 stroke mower plus 5 years of useage.
3) the embedded pollution in a 4 stroke alloy engined lawn mower is 5 times higher than the cast iron 2 stroke most popular down here but the pollution is only 1.15 times higher on the 2 stroke thus it would take 22 years before their total pollutions ( embedded & running) were equal.
However the modern 4 stroke has a design life of 10 years, an average service life of 15 years while the 3 stroke has a design life of 20 years and an actual service life of near 40 years.

Like a lot of things, if you can see it ( 2 stroke smoke ) it must be bad but if you can not see it ( foundry smoke , mining pollution etc etc ) then it does not exist.

Now if you are really serious about saving the planet then get a campaign up & running about ensuring all products sold in the USA have a long service life and all products sold in the USA meet current USA standards.
You embed almost the same pollution in making a cheap chains saw that will only work for 50 yours as you do making a quality one that lasts for 50 years.
All that stuff you see in the dump = pollution in it's manufacture, transport then disposal.
If we stopped making trash products then we would exceed our carbon abatement goals hands down.
The stuff we buy will be 20% more expensive but last 10 times as long thus saving us a fortune in the long run and we would all be better off, except the owners of Walmart & Lowes who would have to live on a mesley $20,000,000 a year in place of the $ 200,000,000 a year they now make bu killing the planet.

T

turboawd

I don't understand what the fuss is about California. They seem to understand we need to keep our environment clean or we will lose it. Its time we all wake up and understand this. Do you just dump your old oil and grease on your lawn?? Yes just a small amount but through many years it become a large amount.

you have a point, but when big oil companies dump millions of barrels of oil in the gulf for example, i tend to care less.

I agree ppl need to be more pro-active on caring for this planet.

I always take my used oil to local auto parts store & dump it in their recycle receptacle.

B

bertsmobile1

I agree ppl need to be more pro-active on caring for this planet.

I always take my used oil to local auto parts store & dump it in their recycle receptacle.

More of a feel good gesture than a genuine ecological one, unless you buy and use recycled oil.
Down here that accounts for around 1.5% of engine oil used and just about the only customer is the government because advertising companies convinced us that recycled oil will cause our car to burst into flames and all our children the grow an extra head..
Same thing with retreaded tyres a massive pollution problem as old tyres usually get stockpiled then have a horrible accident and all catch fire, making emission levels a joke.
That oil you took to the store goes to a processing plant, boiled to remover water , filtered to remove particulates then sold to shipping companies to power ships once they are outside the USA ( or Aust in my case ) teritorial waters where they run the ship on it.
Cruise ships switch over after dark so the travellers do not see the dense black smoke polluting the air over the oceans, freight ships do not care. Again making emission laws a joke.

As previously mentioned, if you really want to save the planet, only buy good quality locally made goods and stay out of Walmart.

reynoldston

reynoldston

you have a point, but when big oil companies dump millions of barrels of oil in the gulf for example, i tend to care less.

So you are saying everybody should care less. Big oil company money is much more important then our environment. 100 years from now we wouldn't be here to see it so who cares. Bert said the grease in your lawn makes good fertilizer. My lawn when ever I have any lube spill onto the grass it kills it.

B

bertsmobile1

So you are saying everybody should care less. Big oil company money is much more important then our environment. 100 years from now we wouldn't be here to see it so who cares. Bert said the grease in your lawn makes good fertilizer. My lawn when ever I have any lube spill onto the grass it kills it.

Yes the initial spill will kill the grass.
The bacteria take time to break it down.
A bit latter on the grass will grow back better than it was before.
I use cheap paper towel in the workshop.
This gets tossed into the compost bin and I grow vegies in the compost that comes out of the bin.
Ditto for the sawdust used for bigger spills any cotton rags and all the grass, oil soaked or dry & clean that comes off the mowers I fix.

reynoldston

reynoldston

So start dumping all your old oil into your lawn it will grow better :thumbsup:

B

bertsmobile1

Me thinks I did say SMALL AMOUNTS in the very first response.
It is a concentration thing a lot will take a long time to get broken down.
OTOH is is really good for pouring around fence posts to deter termites.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Yes in small amounts, makes big sense to me. :smile: Personally I like the heat it makes to heat my son-in laws shop in the winter time better.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Reynold,

Think the main point Bert is making is that our once great manufacturing nation made the best products in the world before we basically turned it over to Japan to help out the enemy of our country. Yes, Japan attacked our country and as usual, we bend over backwards to rebuild the enemies that are trying to kill us.

We will never be the manufacturing giants we once were due to our taxation system for manufacturing and other businesses. In 1978, Brazil gave all their businesses 100% right off on all their equipment the moment they purchase them whether the equipment is put into production or simply sitting in a warehouse. In the USA, it requires 5 years minimum to recover the costs of equipment and machinery to compete with the countries we support with the taxes we have to put out while other countries sit and laugh at us.

One of the biggest problems we "own" in this country is the widespread union labor grid. Unions were created to force factories to provide safe working conditions, however, that very rapidly morphed into increasing pay to the point of putting most manufacturers into the business of over pricing their products. When the tail wags the dog, the dog will never get anywhere. Consider the manufacturers the dog and we no longer get anywhere. Then you throw in one of our idiots that can't see the forest for the trees, former President William Clinton and his NAFTA and guess what. Now you're competing even more so with lower salaries, better factories because the factories can purchase new machines yearly and we're still utilizing machines that are 30 years old and causing maintenance problems more than the machines are producing.

Am I close Bert?

Make America Great Again and stop buying foreign crap. Support your neighbors.

Sorry for the soap box history lesson.

Max

More of a feel good gesture than a genuine ecological one, unless you buy and use recycled oil.

As previously mentioned, if you really want to save the planet, only buy good quality locally made goods and stay out of Walmart.

Bert- Bad Day ?

You do with your used oil what you will down under there, I will continue doing what I feel is best for my used oil, but it won't be dumped on the grounds of my property here, I can assure you of this.

B

bertsmobile1

Not really Max.
It is an idology problem.
For some strange reason we seem to believe that we should be able to have whatever we want .
And because we want it it must get cheaper every year ( greed really ).
Where as because it is US that is working we should be paid more every year for dong exactly the same amount of the the same work every year.
The two of them are mutually exclusive.
We had a refferendum back in the 80's down here where the tow questions were
1) should prices be regulated
2) should wages be regulated

No 1 got carried around 95% yes vote
No 2 got rejected by around a 90% no vote.
What is did was prove that 90% of Australians have no idea about business & commerce.

Then there is the idea that what ever we need some one else should provide, good schools, good roads, rule of law, safe suburbs etc etc.
We all want them but the idea that it is our taxes need to be increased to pay for them is rejected by most.
Now I am not saying that any level of government efficiently spends our money but ultimately they can only spend the money that we pay or borrow money and we end up paying more.

However on this particular thread I was saying that spending the worlds limited resources to make a product that is inferiour and has a very short operating life is by far the greatest cause of enviromential damage.
What we pay a small amount for we do not value so when the $ 100 mower stops working we toss it out & buy another $ 100 mower because it is cheap & that makes us think we are buying a bargan
Then 2 years latter you toss it out again & buy another one where as if you bought the $ 500 well made mower that will run for 20 years you would be better off financially and the planet would be better off because the enviromental cost of manking the junk mower is almost the same as making the quality mower.
A perfect example is one of my own sisters who is on a pension so she bought a $ 10 toaster with a 5 star energy rating.
It got the rating because it uses very little energy per minute, 600Watts.
It also does not toast any bread unless it is a very thick ( 1") slice because the low power element dries the bread out before it burns it.
It failed within the first year 4 times & 3 times she got it replaced the last time it was too late so she went to a different shop and bought a "better $ 12 toaster" with the same results.
I got fed up with her moaning and bought her a $ 120 toaster for her birthday.
She complained bitterly because it was 1800 Watts ( 2 star rating ) and she would not be able to afford the power bill on her pension.
She is still using it and despite having gone through the math with her dozens of times she still can not understand that the 1800 Watt for 2 minutes a slice used less electricity than the 600 Watt at 10 minutes a burned piece of bread .
While there was a massive difference in the purchase price, the price to the enviroment of them is almost identical except one has lasted 50 times longer so 12 year down the track it is 2% the enviromental price of the cheap toaster and half the enviromental price in electricity used should the cheapie have lasted 12 years.

The problem is not unions demanding higher wages.
If workers do not make money they can not spend money. If they do not spend money the factory does not sell product . If the factory does not sell product the factory owner does not make money.
It is a great big circle.
I was once a metallurgist in the days when we had a controlled economy.
Every conference I went to the factory owners whinged & bitched about how the excessive wages were making them uncompetitative and driving productivity down.
On the odd occasion that I suggested the root cause might be second hand manufacturing machines much of which was imported from the UK or USA during WWII that required 4 operators to do the same job as 1 Japanese operator I got howled down.
many of these plants were built prior to electrification so originally had steam engines running overhead pulleys with flat belt drives to each machine in the days when machines were expensive and not replaceable and labour was dirt cheap.
Most had been extensively "modernised", by replacing the steam engine with a 200 Hp electric motor and replacing the flat belts with V belts and clutches.
many of the plants I worked in the only difference in the factory between the 1892 photo on the wall and the factory in 1992 was the colour of the paint and electric light replacing the gas lamps.
The trick is not how much you pay a worker , it is how much value adding ( productivity if you like ) you get from that worker.

As for Unions in general, originally a good idea but being undemocratic and ultimately unresponsible for their actions quickly became a hot bed for idealistic socalists.
They need to be regulated , with secret votes and properly audited accounts.
However if you want to see how they should be done, have a close look at Germany where the workers elect 1/2 the shop committee and that committee appoint the CEO and elect the board of directors.
Workers and management working together for the benefit of all which is how it should be .
The CEO of BMW earns 50 times the wages of an assembler on the floor and BMW has never been broke or shafted their suppliers by pulling a Chapter 11 and not paying them.
Where as the Ford CEO is paid 2000 times what the floor workers earn and Ford have been bankrupt 3 times .
Adjusted on an average male workers wage basis in each country, the floor workers at BMW earn 3 times what the floor workers earn at Ford and funny enough if you see photos of the BMW car park nearly all of the vehicles are BMW where as at the Ford plant, most of the workers can not afford to drive a Ford, it they can actually afford to own a vehicle at all.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Reynold,

Make America Great Again and stop buying foreign crap. Support your neighbors.

Max

Speak for yourself. Been retired for 15 years and living very conformable. YES AMERICA IS STILL GREAT:wink: Forum rules no politics.

Datadave

Datadave

Forum rules no politics.
Good Rule

Someone have a video on how to grease the Axle and castor (if you don't have zerk fittings?)

rbsmith6

rbsmith6

Good Rule

Someone have a video on how to grease the Axle and castor (if you don't have zerk fittings?)

There have to be zerk fittings.

reynoldston

reynoldston

There have to be zerk fittings.

You would think so. I am finding with the newer material's, better seals, improved lubes, and the way things are made the zerk fitting will some day be a thing of the pass. When was the last time your car needed greasing of anything. I am also finding without that grease being added things last longer.

L

LeakyGasket

I've always believed that every time you add grease through a zerk, you push dirt into the bearing. The little amount of grease left over around the groove of the zerk ball from the previous greasing will gather dirt and get pushed right in. Unless you use zerk caps. Yeh, it ain't much (if you wipe it off), but it is there.

O

over40mower

I learned 50 years ago to wipe off zerks, before greasing.
Also to use a blow gun to blow crap out around spark plugs, before removing.
Old school, I guess.

I learned 50 years ago to wipe off zerks, before greasing.
Also to use a blow gun to blow crap out around spark plugs, before removing.
Old school, I guess.

Ditto !!!!!!

mhavanti

mhavanti

Can't imagine putting a grease gun on a dirty zerk.

Can't imagine putting a grease gun on a dirty zerk.

Me either, but a friend saw a youtube with someone doing that very thing. :confused2:

B

bertsmobile1

Me either, but a friend saw a youtube with someone doing that very thing. :confused2:

That is about the level I expect to see from about 75% of the shaved monkeys with massive egos who post on You tube.

That is about the level I expect to see from about 75% of the shaved monkeys with massive egos who post on You tube.

:laughing: True enuff Bert....

L

LeakyGasket

Almost all of these guys want you to see their face way too long. It's pretty obvious when they are in love with themselves. If there are more than a few seconds of their mug, I turn it off and get my information somewhere else.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Most of us in the forum pretty much think alike about sharing information. Since I've began making videos to share visual information and to this point, most are terrible and that would be giving them too much credit at that.

You would not believe how many people keep saying I don't ever get in the shots. I find that sort of funny since I'm not doing videos on "How to view the Max".

Plus, on the one video I did do some commenting on, you can now see why in the hell I don't put my mug on the video. I'm old, fat and ugly. Triple threat for sure. lol

Bertman, when you going to be in the US, I want you to come make a guest appearance at the Garaj Mahal.

Have a great day and keep subscribing to the videos. I may become a household, well uh, never mind, I will run out of modification upgrade how tos pretty soon. lol

Take care all,

Max

M

musclebhai

How often should the front wheels be greased? I don't see any direction in the owners manual.

Do it regularly for smoothness and increase performance. It provides amazing protection against rust and corrosion.

Select the best grease for lawn mower - https://whynotreviews.com/best-grease-for-lawn-mower/

Attachments

4getgto

4getgto

Do it regularly for smoothness and increase performance. It provides amazing protection against rust and corrosion.

Select the best grease for lawn mower - https://whynotreviews.com/best-grease-for-lawn-mower/
Honestly some of dumbest reviews I've ever read.. Especially the cons...

B

bertsmobile1

so why advertise a trash advertising site pretending to be a product review ?
There are thousand of such sites that do nothing more than transcribe what is on the bottle ( or other instructions / lables ) .
They are there to make money for the people who put them up and the products they advertise .\And you are doing their bidding by putting a hot link to the bull dust thieving con-artists morons site.
If you genuinely want to warn people off , then adding a hot link is exactly the wrong thing to do.
It is what advertising companies do to MAKE people go to a site.
If you really want to warn people off then in future post something like this
WHY NOT REVIEWS are not reviews and contain nothing more than what is written on the product best avoid all of them.

The Chairman

The Chairman

The jerks didn't give me no zerks! :D :D :D

I am unhappy with the lack of grease fittings for the wheel bearings, the rods that hold those wheels and the spindle bearings. How I wish the spindle bearings were taper roller bearings rather than those cheap ball bearings.

Grease fittings (zerks) are cheap..

The Chairman

The Chairman

For those of you that are following the thread. I received a note directly from Hustler stating that the axles should be greased when the oil is changed. I did grease mine at about 10 hours. They both took an awful lot of grease before they were full.
I don't have zerks on mine, but I'm going to see if I can add them. I have already gone through two sets of front wheel bearings. Gawd, they squeak something fierce.