Freewheel issues on my Exmark Quest

OldDuffus

Threads
I had an issue with the freewheel or "self-push" feature of the mower. The drive wheels remained locked via the two traction drive transmissions when I wanted to roll the mower through the wet yard to reach the car for battery jumping. On my old mower I just had to place the steering handles in neutral and push in those pesky wires/rods at the back of the mower into their holes and snag the bump on them and slide 'em down into their keeping slots. But no dice. The drive wheels remained locked, and I had to drive my car to the mower and put nasty ruts in the yard.

I did what all proud engineers finally do: read the owner's manual. BTW, I haven't yet tried the potential solution mentioned below.

I went to start my mower this spring and of course, the battery was dead after sitting all winter. I have a so-called "smart" battery charger that applies a larger amperage then backs down to lower value to "top off" the battery according to its instructions. I always end up jumping the battery with my car and it usually takes at least two lawn mowings for the alternator/rectifier to get the battery "healthy" and hold its charge.

Potential solution to getting the mower to freewheel: The owner's manual says the ignition key must also be in the "ON" position but don't actually start the engine. So, I had a catch 20. Battery's dead but a charge is needed to energize the "unlock" solenoids buried somewhere in the traction transmissions to allow freewheel. I was so disgusted that I have not yet tested this cryptic instruction. Duh, battery's dead so how could I? Instead, I went with the car route and ruts in the spongy yard.

For those souls reading this, I hope someone out there tries it and let me know if it indeed worked.

If this is a "safety" feature, I think the manufacturers went overboard. I hope there are those out there who agree in this case since misery loves company. When does one need freewheel? Duh, when the motor, battery or both are out of commission and ya gotta push the darn thing to a place you can work on it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Need the actual model number to look the mower up. Now I do know Toro mowers with electric brake must the ignition on and the transaxle bypass ;levers in the bypass position to push them around.

OldDuffus

Threads
Thanks for the response, StarTech! My mower is an Exmark Quest S series 708 54" deck. Model: #QZS708GEM54200, Serial: #409481792.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes that model has electric brakes so the answer is yes the ignition switch must be in the run position with the bypass levers pushed in to move the mower. It system is very to the Toro electric brake system. Also you can sometimes you can manual rotate the system module lever when the battery is disconnected into the brake release position. This is provided you can reach the circle lever. Just follow the brake rods to find the module.
1712585022162.png