FR651V engine quitting after pto starts

johny123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

Looking for help as my engine starts to quit after the pto has been started and ran for a few minutes and then dies (battery light comes on). I am able to restart right away though and battery hold charge still so I don't think it is being charged by the stator. Eventually if I do this over and over again, the battery needs recharged. I have ensured by testing the battery is good. My question though is in the service manual it says the FR models don't have a voltage regulator. So how would I check to see if the stator is charging the battery still? As in the forums and videos I've seen everyone goes to the voltage regulator and can measure the ac off the stator to see if its producing, and then the dc voltage from the regulator to see if its sending power to the battery? Any help be great.

SidecarFlip

Threads
You have a governor issue probably not a battery issue (though you may need a new battery). When you engage the electric pto clutch if the engine stumbles and dies, it's because the governor isn't compensating for the added load on the engine and opening up the carb. Might be a spring off, not sure, but, it's a governor issue.

johny123

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have a governor issue probably not a battery issue (though you may need a new battery). When you engage the electric pto clutch if the engine stumbles and dies, it's because the governor isn't compensating for the added load on the engine and opening up the carb. Might be a spring off, not sure, but, it's a governor issue.

Thanks ! I’ll check that out. So even if the mower runs for a few minutes fine and then stumbles a bit and quits, that’s the governor?

johny123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction as I believe you are right. I just tested it, and when the mower was about to die, I had to shut down pto and use choke to get me back to garage or it was going to quit. So I believe it is as fuel issue as you have said. I looked and checked the springs around the carb, and don't see any issue. I am not sure on the governor. Can you point me in the right direction how to diagnose?