I have a riding lawnmower with a briggs and stratton 17.5 hp ohv. Just would like to know, What size flywheel puller do I need to get the job done? How could I have mad this post yesterday at 11:59 if I just joined today, no more than 20 minutes ago?
Back the flywheel nut off until it's flush with the end of the shaft. Place a wonder bar ( nail bar ) under the flywheel and apply 5 or 10 lbs. pressure to the end of the bar. This will lift the wheel and take all the end thrust from the crank shaft. Now drop an 8 lb. sledge hammer squarely on the crank shaft end with the flush nut. Remove the nut and lift the flywheel off.
Don't be concerned about the time unless it's time to be at work, time to get off from work, Friday and 5:00, nap time or bed time.
I don't like the hammer part myself. Good way to do damage if you don't know what you are doing. Yes I have done it the hammer way myself in a pinch. Just a two or three bar puller that matches your flywheel pulling holes. Lot safer but might just take a few more minutes.
One not knowing what they are doing is usually how things get screwed up. Likewise a flywheel can be ruined with a puller. If I were to use a puller the puller screw would get bumped with a hammer after a slight tension was applied. That's just the nature of tapers and that's how they like to be treated. You know that and I know that but possibly someone new to the trade doesn't know that.
The reason a hammer doesn't work for some is they chose the wrong hammer, like possibly a 16 oz. claw hammer and after beating he!! out of it the shaft is ruined. If an 8lb. isn't available a 3lb. works fairly well with a little more force but one whack usually does it.
I hear, but don't like prying either. H Frt has copper hammers cheap. Soft blows along the CL of the shaft seem better to me. I use a 2 jaw puller with tension and strike.
:2cents::laughing: