FIXED! for "Need help! JD 185 won't start - just clicks "

MikeL77

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / FIXED! for "Need help! JD 185 won't start - just clicks "
My JD 185 just clicked when I tried to start it. I put in a new battery, it needed it, and had the starter/solenoid rebuilt by pros. Checked and cleaned all the battery cables. Still only clicked when I tried to start it!

The culprit was a bad connection in the brake safety switch. It was working, but apparently not well enough to allow the mower to start. So, I disconnected many of the connectors in the 26 year old mower and found many corroded. I filed and cleaned them up. On three, I actually cut off the connectors and put new connectors on them. Mowing again.

benski

Threads
Very good! A bit of NoAlox, petroleum jelly, or even anti-sieze will slow down oxidation..:biggrin::thumbsup:

Marty W

Forum Newbie
Threads
Some of the older Deere's had that problem. If it continues or acts up again, you can get a relay kit from a dealer part #AM107421 and it should take care of the problem.:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of the older Deere's had that problem. If it continues or acts up again, you can get a relay kit from a dealer part #AM107421 and it should take care of the problem.:thumbsup:

Marty... Welcome to the forum....
AND you have the ultimate fix for the click click click, may start eventually after several clicks...
this relay kit (AM107421) is around $20 +/- 5... and it will work on almost all small engines, you can build it yourself for about half the $, but the kit is truly a simple plug & go deal... :smile:KennyV