Export thread

Ferris Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all Ferris mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Ferris owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Ferris mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Ferris stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

sduncan000

sduncan000

Just Joined - Proud Ferris Owner

Got it last summer:
DSC03139.jpg
DSC03140.jpg
DSC03143.jpg

IS2000Z 52" / 25hp Kaw

U

UGLYTRUK

Re: Ferris Wannabe Owner -:)))

I'm gonna talk w the local dealer next week. He has a demo CAT diesel 72" with my name on it!

sduncan000

sduncan000

I'm gonna talk w the local dealer next week. He has a demo CAT diesel 72" with my name on it!

Congratulations! You are going to love it!

I would be interested in know how the CATs perform as compared to my Kawi.

U

UGLYTRUK

I'll call the dealer now, I was too busy to make it there today!

V

vapoppa

the cat is noiser heavier and gives off more heat-------- it's a way better engine in every other way, and i've had both the kaw. and the cat- try putting a 72" deck in gear at idle with the kaw----- no i didn't think so--- the torque also keeps the blade speed up----mase

U

UGLYTRUK

So is the Cat good. Your comment was a little confusing

R

Roybretton

I used to be the owner of a Ferris IS5000 diesel mower, a great machine, I can recommend Ferris mowers, I have owned several of them! I had the 61" deck on mine, the output is amazing especially with the unique suspension that Ferris fits on there ride on's. I hope you are able to buy one.

You can see the Ferris IS5000 here.

U

UGLYTRUK

I have a week spine, osteoporosis, and NEED the shock absorbers!

R

Roybretton

I have a week spine, osteoporosis, and NEED the shock absorbers!

The shock absorbers definitely make a difference, I have used other machines without them and it does help!

S

scott

Good morning.

I am new to zero turn, but have done a fair amount or research and am ready to purchase. I've decided on a new IS 3100Z.

U

UGLYTRUK

WELCOME!!! The only down side to the ZT's is the turn the inside wheel backwards sometimes for tite turns, so it tears up the grass a little

K

KennyV

WELCOME!!! The only down side to the ZT's is the turn the inside wheel backwards sometimes for tite turns, so it tears up the grass a little

You can mow incredibly fast with a ZTR... and you have to remember to slow down a little when you get around tight places... at reasonable speeds you will not tear up the grass., if you do your running a tire that is way too aggressive on a ZTR... :smile:KennyV

U

UGLYTRUK

It turns backwards when ur going slowly. You can watch it, it's trying to make ur turning circle smaller. I'll post a video of that when I get the machine back fr service

K

KennyV

It turns backwards when ur going slowly. You can watch it, it's trying to make ur turning circle smaller. I'll post a video of that when I get the machine back fr service

Of course it will turn backwards if you pull the controller that far...
it will also go slower than the other side if you pull it back a little and push the outside (of your turning circle) faster...
If you are making your turns using only the inside of the turn controller... yes you are tearing up your lawn & you are going to cause the pump and wheel motor life to dramatically shorten...
You should not cause the drive wheels to go from forward to reverse without spending a little time in between... (that would be neutral, no oil flowing)...

Make turns by speeding up the outside wheel and slowing the inside, NOT by reversing the inside. I know you can force it do otherwise but it will be hard on everything.... :smile:KennyV

U

UGLYTRUK

Hmmm... I'll pay more attention. I didn't know that going backwards and forwards quickly would hurt things, my bad!

K

KennyV

Hmmm...
I didn't know that going backwards and forwards quickly would hurt things,

It's because of 'moment of inertia' ... rotational mass likes to continue as it is going ... lots of pressure to suddenly reverse everything... and as mentioned, when you do it really eats the turf also...

Your question about the Cat Diesel.. my sister has an Excel Hustler Super Z, with a CAT diesel... they LOVE it & it seems to be a great mower engine...
I have a Kubota Diesel on my 72 " ZTR... :smile:KennyV

U

UGLYTRUK

I don't really beat on it, but I'll try show a vid soon!

A

AndySKane

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet 2518 that needs engine work and am looking at buying a Ferris Zero Turn and came her to get info.

A

AndySKane

Bought a Ferris IS1500Z yesterday. I'm a homeowner and mow about two acres. Used it the first time yesterday afternoon. This was my first time mowing with a zero turn. It was very intense and will take several times for the stick use to become fully intuitive. The pro lawn guys make it look easy. I also threw in a picture of some of the stuff I mow.

Attachments

sduncan000

sduncan000

Congratulations! I have had my IS2000Z for less than a year - no regrets. :thumbsup:

You are correct that the pros make it look easy - I still find myself ripping a chunk out of the turf when I turn too quickly!

You will love it. It makes my 5 acres go quickly even when I wait too long and have to double mow parts of it!

T

tmar04

just bought 27 yr old Ferris Commercial Pro Cut 48(3 wheeler) and just love it!. Has Kohler Magnum 18, that is strong as a bears breath, and cuts smooth. I am 2nd owner and it is all original. Naturally, it is all mechanical with nothing fancy, but thats OK.

A

AndySKane

Congratulations. I didn't know they have been in business that long. Can you post a picture? The Kohler magnum is a great engine.

T

tmar04

will try topost pics as soon as I get it cleaned up a little. broke clutch cable today so can't move the beast til I locate, and install, new cable.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I have the pro cut 61 three wheeler with a kohler command 22 for 11 years now and still running strong. Other then maintenance very little repairs. Had to replace the oil cooler and one caster tire this year. Sure can't complain on that.

T

Tom Casey

Four years ago I bought a Ferris ProCut 61 (circa 1980) for $1200. I cost $800 to fix it up, and since then it has been great. We have an acre of lawn surrounded by a hundred trees, so leaves are a problem in the fall. But I also bought a leaf plow, and with a Red Max EBZ8001 blower I manage.
Right now my clutch cable broke and the Ferris dealer wants $87 for a new one--just the cable! Outrageous! If anyone has an alternate suggestion, I would appreciate it.
Good luck and happy cutting!

Tom Casey

T

tmar04

Tom, I went thru same deal with my 1987 ferris pro cut 48.I finally bought my cable from turfdepot.com for 83.00, free shipping and no tax. It was a nightmare to change, but I got it done. works fine. then brake cable broke. so, same deal on it. another 83.00, lost another pint of blood changing it, but works good. even changed brake pads at same time. those things are like a tank! indestructible,almost. I am 73 and I know it will outlast me. you could fashion a cable, but wasn't worth it to me. I like things to work right. let me know if I can help any way. Good luck. Terry Martin

T

Tom Casey

Tom, I went thru same deal with my 1987 ferris pro cut 48.I finally bought my cable from turfdepot.com for 83.00, free shipping and no tax. It was a nightmare to change, but I got it done. works fine. then brake cable broke. so, same deal on it. another 83.00, lost another pint of blood changing it, but works good. even changed brake pads at same time. those things are like a tank! indestructible,almost. I am 73 and I know it will outlast me. you could fashion a cable, but wasn't worth it to me. I like things to work right. let me know if I can help any way. Good luck. Terry Martin

Terry,

Thanks for your response and offer of help. You're right. "Tank" is the exact expression I use for my Ferris. It's composed of 1/4" and 1/8" steel and is quite heavy--and almost indestructible. I'm 75 and mine too may outlive me. But its weight sometimes causes a problem. On inclines the wheels sometimes spin and dig into the grass.

I have a small barn with loft doors and a beam that extends outward above the doors as a hoist. I have a long cable and chain which I use with a winch to jack up the Ferris onto its side, so I can work on its underbelly, usually to sharpen the blades without having to take them off. I hope that the cable and clutch attachment will be accessible to me in that position.

Since the clutch cable consists of an outer shield with a string of bound wires that move back & forth within it, I think I will try to remove the broken string of wires and thread a similar string of wires (perhaps a bit thinner) through the shield and attach it to the pedal and the clutch itself. Do you think that might work?

Thanks again for your help

Tom Casey

G

Glenn Creswell

Hi I'm new here. I own 4- 60" zero turn mowers. 2 Ferris IS400 and 2 John Deere 747.

6]GREETINGS to all Ferris mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Ferris owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Ferris mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Ferris stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.[/QUOTE]

N

nemo2

Hello just joined because I was looking for a solution to a problem with my IS1500Z and tried this site. I am like most of you the ride is major selling fact for the Ferris. Mine has served me well but I have had a few problems along the way. Since I am new I will be dumb and give a description of my problem in hopes someone will know what is wrong. Cutting grass today and pushed the disengage button - the blades stopped for a second or two then started right back up. Pulled up on the engage button and the blades shut off for a few seconds then came right back on.........? Has to be something like a bad switch or the clutch messing up right????? Any suggestions would be great.

I have not found a solution on the internet yet.

Thanks
Ed

V

vanette

Re: Ferris Owner Check-In

I'm new to this site. I have a Ferris IS1500 w/750 hrs. I have a great friend that has taken care of any problems I have had w/my mower. As a matter of fact, after I got my mower, he bought one just like it. So, he has been extremely helpful. But, he is stumped w/my current problems-of which there are 2:
I posted the question about the hydraulic fluid leaking between the brake drum and the hydraulic motor. And now, I have another problem. The belt keeps coming off. We put it on and within 3 min. of engaging the blades, the belt comes off. He has checked everything, the belt, the pulleys. We just moved the screw back one notice, the one that the spring hooks onto. Hoping to put more tension so that belt stays on. And it did but it is really rough; the ride is rough, cutting is rough. I know something is wrong and we just can't figure it out. Anyone have a solution? Any help, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

R

rfox123

Hi Ya'll,
I'm new to this site and just starting to look around. I have a IS 500Z 24hp 44" and just love it. Wish I would have purchased a 60" cut though. Oh well maybe next one, if this one ever wears out. I mow about three acres and do it in record time compared to the other mowers I have owned. I would like to ask members of this site which blades hold up the best for ya'll OEM or off brands. I have St. Augustine in my yard around the house and bahaia mixed with bermuda in other areas? Dirt seems to be wearing out the blade pretty quick.:anyone:

S

swampdog50

afternoon

just purchased my first ZT and it's the IS 700 Z/52'' , I actually looked at them yesterday and went back today.... I got to ride it and after reading all about the shock system on it ...well it's SWEET , had only got to ride one other zero turn, and it was a Country Clipper ''Jazzee" nice machine w/the ''joy stick'' and all but this ferris , well the ride and build , I was sold and now I have one coming ... this old man is happy ....

great site, I've been doing lottsa reading and it's just loaded with great members and info, some sites there is just too much , well..:thumbsup: ya know... any hoot glad I found it...:smile:

back to reading

be well

swampdog50

K

KennyV

just purchased my first ZT and it's the IS 700 Z/52'' ...

You will Love your new Z over your older mower... :smile:KennyV

J

jrapp

I have a 1500 coming to demo in a few days. I'm thinking it will really work out well. I'll see on Monday.

J

jrapp

Well I have the 1500 here now for a demo. The steering seems very jumpy. It is not smooth at all. Will this break in over time?

sduncan000

sduncan000

Well I have the 1500 here now for a demo. The steering seems very jumpy. It is not smooth at all. Will this break in over time?

I would double check your hydraulic fluid levels and you may need some slight adjustment to the steering handles themselves. That is what I had to do on my 2000 a few years ago.
I would be curious as well what some other more experienced folk would have to say about that.

J

jrapp

I would double check your hydraulic fluid levels and you may need some slight adjustment to the steering handles themselves. That is what I had to do on my 2000 a few years ago.
I would be curious as well what some other more experienced folk would have to say about that.

I called the dealer and hey said it needs adjusted. It that normal for a unit with 0.0 hours on it? Other than that issue I really like the machine. I am probably going to cut with it a little tonight or tomorrow. He suspension in the rear defiantly makes a difference.

sduncan000

sduncan000

I called the dealer and hey said it needs adjusted. It that normal for a unit with 0.0 hours on it? Other than that issue I really like the machine. I am probably going to cut with it a little tonight or tomorrow. He suspension in the rear defiantly makes a difference.

It's possible. Not to be dogmatic on it but coming from the factory, shipment can cause "contents to settle". :)

J

jrapp

Well I bought it! Ended up getting a great deal on what I think is a great mower for me. Hopefully it will last me a long time. The first real cut is tonight!

N

Nightwind15

Re: Ferris Owner Check-In --- Read This First!S

Stephen Armstrong Decatur, AL.
Just bought a 2013 IS 3000Z with the Kawasaki 37HP. Engine. I will comment more on it after it is delivered next week. I have owned a Swisher 66", a Great Dane, a Bush Hog 58" and a Gravely 48" in years past. This mower actually has me excited. I will let you know how it goes and if the love affair with the IS is real. Buying is sight unseen but really like the thought of the suspension and EFI Kawasaki brute motor.

sduncan000

sduncan000

Well I bought it! Ended up getting a great deal on what I think is a great mower for me. Hopefully it will last me a long time. The first real cut is tonight!

Congrats and have fun!

J

jrapp

I have to say that I am pretty impressed with this mower (1500 w/ 26 hp briggs) I cut my yard and then went to cut some more at my in-laws. My father in law has a old farmall tractor with a belly mower that has been acting up so he has not cut in over a month. His grass was about a foot or more in some areas. The 1500 made pretty quick work of it. I did not go full speed but went quicker than normal and the cut was clean and nice. I had to go over the clippings so there was not a lot left in the walking areas. But I was impressed. I have had the mower for a week and put 2.6 hours on it so far. I'm very happy with my choice so far!

sduncan000

sduncan000

I have to say that I am pretty impressed with this mower (1500 w/ 26 hp briggs) I cut my yard and then went to cut some more at my in-laws. My father in law has a old farmall tractor with a belly mower that has been acting up so he has not cut in over a month. His grass was about a foot or more in some areas. The 1500 made pretty quick work of it. I did not go full speed but went quicker than normal and the cut was clean and nice. I had to go over the clippings so there was not a lot left in the walking areas. But I was impressed. I have had the mower for a week and put 2.6 hours on it so far. I'm very happy with my choice so far!

That has been my experience as well - When I get a bit lazy and 'forget' to cut for a while, this tool enables my laziness :)

Slc Chris

Slc Chris

Hey guys just picked up a 2013 52" evolution last week. Who else has one?? Any problems we might expect? Only problem so far the knee pads literally fell off the first day!!

clpolcar

clpolcar

I am new to using a zero turn. Always have loved ferris mowers. I've always wanted one. Ended up buying at is600z. It was all I needed. Its got the 48 inch deck with the Kawasaki engine. I can't wait to use it when the weather breaks here in Cleveland Ohio. Only cut a few lawns a week and she will be more then perfect for my needs

ForumRunner_20140327_130239.png

B

bucken

Also new to zero turn. Always felt that if I ever got one, it would be a Ferris. Finally picked one up at a local auction. Only 500+ hours. Is that good? An IS4000Z, KAV27, 61" deck, with Trac Vac 1060 unit included. No owner's or engine manual. Now trying to learn as much as I can to take proper care of it. For example, I still haven't discovered where you drain the oil. And how do you use the left and right tanks?

C

ColtLyles

Hi, my name is Colt and I have owned my Ferris IS2000Z mower for almost 2 years now. Best mower I have ever had and I hoping to purchase another real soon. I own a small lawn care business in my hometown in SC. :smile:
Right now its not wanting to fire up & it looks electrical, I'm working on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

M

MoGoSlow

Hi, my name is Robert and I have a Ferris Pro cut 61 with a 27hp Kohler engine. I am wondering what type of hydraulic fluid should I use for the Hydro drive transmission.

K

KennyV

Hello Robert...
Yor HydroGear system uses 20w50 Engine oil, synthetic like Mobil1 would be the best. After a change you will need to purge any air in the system, this youtube from hydrogear shows the procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFgt0GgjNg
:smile:KennyV

L

Lawn Man

Bought my Ferris IS2000Z with 61" deck, Kohler 29HP EFI. Have a really bad back and love the suspension. I mow around 4 acres and seems to do a great job. Traded a 19 year old Woods mower with 61" deck, Kubota diesel. Hard to compare a 30HP diesel with 29hp gasoline but the Kohler has plenty of power. I have a Kohler on my smaller John Deere mower and it's given me great service. Good luck to all Ferris owners :smile:

DSepe

Hi I'm new to the forums. Just got my Ferris IS600z Kawasaki! Looking forward to being a part of the Ferris community on LMF.

sduncan000

sduncan000

Hi I'm new to the forums. Just got my Ferris IS600z Kawasaki! Looking forward to being a part of the Ferris community on LMF.

Mowing has never been so much fun! ;)

G

gagoober

Newbie to Site...Ferris Criterion 320 Owner

I'm an newbie to this site and pretty much a newbie to posting questions so please forgive me if I have botched this up from the start.

I have a Ferris Criterion 320, which I bought at a estate sale for $400.00 about 3 years ago. Doing the usual fluid change and other assorted items I got it to run and have been well pleased with the purchase. It has worked pretty much flawlessly until this year.

My problem at this moment is that it blows a fuse when I pull the button up to engage the mower deck. If I don't pull the deck engage button I can drive it all over the place with no problem. I have checked the spindles and everything on the deck rotates without any binding. I can just turn the start key to the on position , the engine is not running, and pull up on the deck engage button and it blows the fuse, bam ! I am suspecting that the coil on the clutch it creating a dead short, the coil has gone bad.

Am I on the right track or am I missing something ? I have not checked the wiring connector yet. But while I was checking I wanted to ohm the coil and was wondering what a good coil should ohm out at. I guess if it shows a dead short that is my answer.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

GAGoober
Down Deep in Dixie

K

KennyV

Re: Newbie to Site...Ferris Criterion 320 Owner

I guess if it shows a dead short that is my answer.

Hello & Welcome to these Forums...
Check for a shorted wire from the pto switch to the clutch, they can fray and short to the frame...
A good clutch will be low ohms somewhere between 2 to 3 ohms... like you said near zero ohms will require a new clutch. You will need a fairly good DVOM... :smile:KennyV

C

cruizerjoy

Well I am new to the ferris world. I got my IS2100 08-19-2014 and I love it!!! The 29 efi kohler has gobs of power and runs smoooooth. Hope it rains soon so I can mow some grass

D

david_h_30170

Hello, from Georgia, I have a IS1500 that I bought new 4 years ago it has about 225 hours on it. I reallyi do like the mower, but having belt issues right now, maybe I can find a fix on this site.

F

ferrisbestyet

Hi .... I am frank owner of a 52 Ferris 74 years old and live in Shreveport la .....Retired Center Point gas man and mechanic and Paint and body man ,,,Also a 2 stroke Mercury mechanic ,,,,,,,Let just say,,,, I know motors and machines pretty well....Ferris is a great choice (my only choice) if you want to step up to a real lawn machine and get away from the home/owner brands, Spring loaded shocks on every wheel (nice ride) Grease fittings on all the blade spindles (sealed bearing wear out and u have to buy the whole assembly,) (Front foot floor pan come off so you can get at the belts and pulleys) Adjustable seat,,,,Safety belt......Roll bar......3/16 welded and reinforced deck........3 blade a cutting,,,,,(POWDER COATED) THE VERY BEST AND TUFF PAINT ON THE MARKET,,, HAS THE BRIGGS 25HP BRIGS COMERICAL ENGINE((.I STICK WITH BRIGGS,,,,)))(You will to if you ever need parts ,,) NO rice rockets for me......(JUST A CLEAN MEAN CUTTING MACHINE,,,,,,,,,LOVE IT DRIPS WITH QUALITY

Attachments

F

ferrisbestyet

Re: Just Joined - Proud Ferris Owner

You are one smart guy,,,, This is the king of the zero turns ,,,,Love my Ferris,,, Good Luck A very smart choice

T

tonyabitz

Glad to be here, today, I became a Ferris owner. Just dropped a a bundle on a 2015 IS3200. Looking forward to mowing season.

F

ferrisbestyet

Glad to be here, today, I became a Ferris owner. Just dropped a a bundle on a 2015 IS3200. Looking forward to mowing season.
I give you a A+ for smarts ,, Great choice,,,,,,You will love your Ferris as I and other Ferris owners do,,,This mower is a tank (smile) H A N D

B

Birddog55

Ferries bogs down under load

first time posting on this site. I have a ferris is4000 when driving up hill or any other load mower bogs down. In the past mower automatically adjusted to increased load. Other than this recent prob. mower has. Been great. I mow about 4acres of rolling hills. This is a real problem if anybody out there has experienced this or knows anything about it please help.

F

ferrisbestyet

Re: Ferries bogs down under load

first time posting on this site. I have a ferris is4000 when driving up hill or any other load mower bogs down. In the past mower automatically adjusted to increased load. Other than this recent prob. mower has. Been great. I mow about 4acres of rolling hills. This is a real problem if anybody out there has experienced this or knows anything about it please help.
Having No Background on the Engine, I Suggest you First Reset the Governor,,,,

Seneca SS

Seneca SS

Greetings from the Finger Lakes of NY

just bought a new IS700ZB2752 but it snowed today so I didn't pick it up with the sloppy NY Roads--I:mad: NY weather

F

ferrisbestyet

Re: Greetings from the Finger Lakes of NY

just bought a new IS700ZB2752 but it snowed today so I didn't pick it up with the sloppy NY Roads--I:mad: NY weather
Congrats great choice We are under water down here in the south has been rain for a month Hope you all thaw out ,,,,,,Thanks for the note this is a great site with great guys & gals on it... frank Shreveport la retired (74) riding my Ferris and loving it

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=20030&uid=53550&d=1422821573http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=20031&uid=53550&d=1422821639

Seneca SS

Seneca SS

Re: Greetings from the Finger Lakes of NY

Congrats great choice We are under water down here in the south has been rain for a month Hope you all thaw out ,,,,,,Thanks for the note this is a great site with great guys & gals on it... frank Shreveport la retired (74) riding my Ferris and loving it

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=20030&uid=53550&d=1422821573http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=20031&uid=53550&d=1422821639

My sister lives in Monroe !!!!!

R

rmccutchan

OOPS....I didn't check in here before I started posting. :ashamed:

Anyway, I picked up a IS 700Z with a 61" deck and the Briggs Commercial Turf 27hp in December (end of year sale), and I'm anxious to get going!! I have about 5-6 acres with 29 duplex units on it, so I'm confident this will be a good mower for the properties. I've seen all the Briggs bashing all over the internet, but I don't believe most, or any, of it. The dealer really like the new Briggs motor, and with proper maintenance, it should give me a lot of years of good service. The dealer also says the cyclonic filter is doing an amazing job too, which will add life to the engine.

sduncan000

sduncan000

and with proper maintenance, it should give me a lot of years of good service. The dealer also says the cyclonic filter is doing an amazing job too, which will add life to the engine.
You got it. That is point number 1 (or even Zero!) - Proper routine maintenance will make any (normal) machine last longer!
Oh, and shame on you for not 'checking in'!

F

ferrisbestyet

OOPS....I didn't check in here before I started posting. :ashamed:

Anyway, I picked up a IS 700Z with a 61" deck and the Briggs Commercial Turf 27hp in December (end of year sale), and I'm anxious to get going!! I have about 5-6 acres with 29 duplex units on it, so I'm confident this will be a good mower for the properties. I've seen all the Briggs bashing all over the internet, but I don't believe most, or any, of it. The dealer really like the new Briggs motor, and with proper maintenance, it should give me a lot of years of good service. The dealer also says the cyclonic filter is doing an amazing job too, which will add life to the engine.
Nothing wrong with the briggs,,,I have been running briggs for years ,,Keep the oil changed and the air filter clean, See if you can find gas with no ethanol in it, ,I have run the old Briggs engine's for years ,They had NO oil pumps or oil filters (old splash system) to lub inner working ,,,You will get more negative talk on the Briggs because there are thousands more engines out here that the others,,,More people get killed with 22 rim fire guns,,,,Why? Because there is more of them, Not because they are a powerful bullet .Also if you ever need parts or repair it will be a lot cheaper than the Rice runners , PS Let your engine idle for about 5 minutes before you cut it off ,after a hard and long run of cutting ,This lets the engine cool down a bit before you cut it off hot,,,,,The new commercial Briggs have a pressurized oil system,,,,cast iron sleeves, oil filter,,, and the new cyclonic air filter.... One tuff mean grass eating machine ,, (smile O! and Yes GOD and Ferris don't make no junk

K

ktrails

Greetings from Lacey's Spring, AL. I have never paid more than $400 for a push mower, but we moved to the country, and we've got hills out here, and my knee and back aren't getting any younger, so I figured it was time to go with the riding mower... Just didn't like the lack of leg room on a traditional riding mower (I'm 6'6"), so I started looking at zero turns - most are laid out with a lot more leg room. The eXmark Quest s-series and the Bad Boy ZT Elite were in the running until I saw a Ferris IS700ZT, and, well, that primal feeling, sort of hard to describe...

But, I have approx. 1/2 acre of lawn right now, with plans to take that up to 1 acre, and perhaps another acre of meadow. So this is probably massive overkill... Still, I don't want to be sorry with the purchase of something I'll keep for a long time.

So my real question is: is it better to have a larger deck on a smaller unit (e.g. a 48" deck on a IS600Z) or a smaller deck on a larger unit (52" deck on a IS700Z). Honestly, I imagine the IS600Z is fine for getting the job done, so I would guess it is a question of maneuverability versus having enough engine not to bog down on cutting a meadow?

I'd be grateful for your thoughts!

F

ferrisbestyet

Greetings from Lacey's Spring, AL. I have never paid more than $400 for a push mower, but we moved to the country, and we've got hills out here, and my knee and back aren't getting any younger, so I figured it was time to go with the riding mower... Just didn't like the lack of leg room on a traditional riding mower (I'm 6'6"), so I started looking at zero turns - most are laid out with a lot more leg room. The eXmark Quest s-series and the Bad Boy ZT Elite were in the running until I saw a Ferris IS700ZT, and, well, that primal feeling, sort of hard to describe...

But, I have approx. 1/2 acre of lawn right now, with plans to take that up to 1 acre, and perhaps another acre of meadow. So this is probably massive overkill... Still, I don't want to be sorry with the purchase of something I'll keep for a long time.

So my real question is: is it better to have a larger deck on a smaller unit (e.g. a 48" deck on a IS600Z) or a smaller deck on a larger unit (52" deck on a IS700Z). Honestly, I imagine the IS600Z is fine for getting the job done, so I would guess it is a question of maneuverability versus having enough engine not to bog down on cutting a meadow?

I'd be grateful for your thoughts!
The 48" deck on a IS600Z will work just fine,,,This is what I own ,,,You wiil love the Ferris Very easy on the arsk.....This machine is built like a tank ,,The Ferris cuts even up or down hills ,,,The others DONT,,,

Attachments

K

ktrails

The 48" deck on a IS600Z will work just fine,,,This is what I own ,,,You wiil love the Ferris Very easy on the arsk.....This machine is built like a tank ,,The Ferris cuts even up or down hills ,,,The others DONT,,,

I drove about 40 miles to a dealer who had an IS600Z in stock. I was really disappointed - not in the machine, but in the shape it was in. Looked like it had been outside for YEARS - lots of rust on the engine / exhaust, all the labels peeling off, and the clear plastic caps were completely white / cloudy. Checked with another dealer who had the best price I could find, but he keeps his machines outside as well, said a little rust was no big deal.

I've ordered a machine from a small local shop - paid a little more, but they keep them inside, and it will arrive with 0 hours on it. I'll keep mine inside, take good care of it, and want it to start out looking new. Can't wait!

F

ferrisbestyet

HAAAAAAAAA Same thing happen to me ,,,,,,,,I Had a dealer 5o miles from me in La,,)Minden La) He had only one in stock, that was a demo,,,, It was scratched was not shinny new,,, When I pay over 5000 for a mower ,I want to be the one to bend or abuse it ,,,,, Found a dealer in Texas about 70 miles from me that had one in the box, He brought it to me ,,, saved the tax ,,( and got a brand new one ) Keep it garaged and like new,,,,,My last mover (Gravely) lasted 12 years and still looked good when it finally pooped out,,,,,Glad you got what you wanted . Good Luck Frank Shreveport la h a n d

Attachments

B

blc3492

Hi. Just checking in. My old 2009 Cub Cadet RZT had a hydrogear go out so I replaced it with a shiny new IS700z 52".

WOW - no comparison. I used it this past Saturday and can't wait till I need to mow again!!

Great forum - have already read and learned a lot about the Ferris brand.

SARG

SARG

Hey ... New Ferris owner from upstate NY. A friend recently decided he had enough of New York State and moved to Texas where his new house has a postage stamp lawn.

He sold me his IS1500ZX with 50 hours on it. It is indeed a beast compared to the other five garden tractors I've accumulated.

The first trip across my lawn I snagged the anchor cable off my power pole with the ROPS. Good thing for me the cable popped off the pole instead of flipping me upside down. Yesterday the battery died and a load test let me know it was doomed. New battery today from Wallyworld.

My wife loves the machine and I suspect my next goal will be to install a B&M supercooler into the hydraulic system. Seems the larger machines come from the factory with a cooler.

Hope to learn about the Ferris machines here.

V

vegetable68

Hello fellow Ferris users,

I'm based in the UK and have been running a 1998 vintage Hydrowalk 48 for about 8 years. Just use it for domestic (about 2 acres of lawn & rough grass). Its a bit beaten up and has had a few issues but I love the manoeuvrability and the fact that I can cut under low hanging branches. I've been servicing it myself and have ordered parts from the US rather than paying UK dealers more than double. You guys wouldn't believe how much ferris mowers and parts cost in the UK.

As I get older I'm finding it harder to grip the constrols for long periods of time but can't find an alternative that's as good....

Jon (in sunny Norfolk)

C

cubbies.fan12

Just bought a new Ferris IS2100Z! Got it from Bruno's Powersports in Arkansas. Free delivery and no sales tax was great. Great people over there, I really enjoy my mower

sduncan000

sduncan000

I run an IS2000Z 52" deck and I have about 4 acres with lots of trees. I find the size pretty much perfect as I can get through most smaller spaces, and yet can still circle any tree without difficulty.

G

greenguy

Just purchased an IS2100Z 61" 28 HP EFI on 7-1-16. After 40 some years of mowing with tractors, I have some learning to do with this machine. Hope to learn some helpful tips on maintaining and improving this machine.

Buckethead

Buckethead

Hi, I just got a 2016 Ferris is600z with Kawasaki and 48" deck. So far only mowed once and learning the steering. I have only used lawn tractors since I started mowing my acre in 1979. Greased all zerks as soon as I got it and checked oil. Installed a K&N air filter and will be changing to synthetic oil after break in. Glad to join this group.

E

edward6967

Intro from another Ferris Owner

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower]

Hello I'm Ed Padget from Huntsville, AL. I recently purchased the IS700 Zero Turn mower. I stepped up from a Husquvarna 2147 Rider. So far the experience has been really good in respect to how fast it mows, how even it mows, ease of use, ruggedized chasis etc. It's all things good except one minor issue.

My only issue is the grass clippings it shoots out looks really bad on the ground after I'm done mowing. I've invested a lot of time and money in the landscape of my yard so to have grass clippings all over the place just drives me nuts. My old system had a bagger. Paying $2500 more dollars for a bagger seemed way out of bounds considering I just dropped a little over 6K for the mower. So I'd like to find out what others may have done to lessen the grass clippings issue? Are there other options other than a twenty-five hundred bagger? Would a mulcher (another $350.00) make a noticeable difference? What other options are there? Thanks for any input.

Buckethead

Buckethead

Re: Intro from another Ferris Owner

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower]

Hello I'm Ed Padget from Huntsville, AL. I recently purchased the IS700 Zero Turn mower. I stepped up from a Husquvarna 2147 Rider. So far the experience has been really good in respect to how fast it mows, how even it mows, ease of use, ruggedized chasis etc. It's all things good except one minor issue.

My only issue is the grass clippings it shoots out looks really bad on the ground after I'm done mowing. I've invested a lot of time and money in the landscape of my yard so to have grass clippings all over the place just drives me nuts. My old system had a bagger. Paying $2500 more dollars for a bagger seemed way out of bounds considering I just dropped a little over 6K for the mower. So I'd like to find out what others may have done to lessen the grass clippings issue? Are there other options other than a twenty-five hundred bagger? Would a mulcher (another $350.00) make a noticeable difference? What other options are there? Thanks for any input.[/QUO

Buckethead

Buckethead

Hi Ed, I think the only way to avoid lots of clippings without paying more for extras is to mow befor it gets too high. My grass was a little higher than I usually let it get and I also noticed clippings laying around. I tried mowing back and forth which is easy on a zero turn but you don't spread out the clippings like going in a circle always blowing the grass out.

E

edward6967

Hi Ed, I think the only way to avoid lots of clippings without paying more for extras is to mow befor it gets too high. My grass was a little higher than I usually let it get and I also noticed clippings laying around. I tried mowing back and forth which is easy on a zero turn but you don't spread out the clippings like going in a circle always blowing the grass out.[/QUOTE

Thanks for responding. I didn't explain my issue correctly. What I mean to say is the mower is pulling up all the dead thatch that is beneath the grass, so combined with the grass clippings and the added thatch it just looks really messy across the lawn.

Ardy

Ardy

Ferris 1000z - Aussie Owner

Hi All bought my Ferris from a mate who was moving off an acreage. Great machine except I am on sloping ground and I have to be careful on it.

Got a small problem at the moment and the repairmen in my area are not great on Ferris so I thought I would joing and get some ideas first to take with me.

I find it - FAST - COMFORTABLE - GOOD ON BELTS NOW i HAVE CHANGED THEM - MOWS WELL. I also use a ferrari tractor and mower to do the steep bits.

regards to all.

Ardy

T

tms481

Ferris H3222K

R

Resurrected1

I purchased a new IS2100, yesterday.....to replace the Ariens ICON X 52 that I purchased the week before. I did too little research and bought the wrong mower, the first time around. So far (after ~1.5 hrs on the clock) it is a night & day difference. MUCH smoother with the suspension. This is my first riding mower...well, technically 2nd. I just bought and moved onto 10 acres....of which 4-5 I am mowing. Anyway, I'll be reading up and studying as much as possible.

M

mowing addict

Newbie here i just bought my first Ferris in February!!!!!!!!!!!! i have 2.5 acres to mow so i got the is700z with a 61" cut and 27hp briggs. i now have 16 hours on it and i have enjoyed every minute i dont have any pictures yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

Svadilfar

New member from Norway here,

I bought my new mower from a company that had gone bankrupt, so I got it for a smile and a song. It had only 75 hour on the meter. It is a Ferris Evolution with a 36" deck, which is perfect as it can pass through the narrow gaps in my garden wall.

I used the mower only three times when the hydro drive belt broke. Rats. Ordered a new one from the US through a local Ferris dealer. Only later did I understand that these belts are now made by Continental's ConTech division. They are called SilentSync and can be obtained much cheaper and quicker through a European Continental dealer. Ah well. Next time!

I look forward to sharing experiences and learning from my fellow Ferris owners!

FullSizeRender.jpg

reynoldston

reynoldston

Bought my Ferris in 2000 so its 17 years old and its very trouble free and mows just as good now as the day I bought it. Mine has the Kohler command engine and the only problem I have had with that is bad coils.

G

glg

on the tractor.JPG

IS 3200 with 37hp Kaw and a 72" pass.

C

CowPastor

Bought an is2100z 61" deck and 26hp Vanguard motor. I have 16 acres of which I will mow half and bushhog half. Mower is much smoother riding than the others I tested.

Viperous

Viperous

Hey, fellow forum members!

Our Ferris is an ancient one :tongue: one of the first ones to have a sulky seat attached to the back. I'm not sure what model it is, and I'll try to get some pics posted soon. We paid $600 CAD for it about 3 years ago, and that seems to have been way too much for the amount of work we have to put into it. Looks like we'll be shopping around for a new one in the near future. I worked in lawn maintenance for almost 4 years, so I think I know a bit about mowers :tongue:

Josh

Viperous

Viperous

Re: Intro from another Ferris Owner

My only issue is the grass clippings it shoots out looks really bad on the ground after I'm done mowing. I've invested a lot of time and money in the landscape of my yard so to have grass clippings all over the place just drives me nuts. My old system had a bagger. Paying $2500 more dollars for a bagger seemed way out of bounds considering I just dropped a little over 6K for the mower. So I'd like to find out what others may have done to lessen the grass clippings issue? Are there other options other than a twenty-five hundred bagger? Would a mulcher (another $350.00) make a noticeable difference? What other options are there? Thanks for any input.

Have you considered using tiger blades? They cut your clippings into much smaller pieces that hide way better in your lawn.

D

dgoner

New Ferris owner here in Indiana. I picked up a new IS700Z with 61" deck for a fathers day gift to myself lol. I have just under 5 acres to mow and it was getting really old trying to keep up on a 42" Craftsman YS4500 riding mower. 5 - 6 hours of cutting on that Craftsman and it is approaching 11 years old with 512 hours on it. Recently I've been spending as much time fixing it as I have been cutting the grass so I figured it was time to upgrade to a commercial mower. I looked at the Scag Patriot, the Husqvarna MZT 61, and the Ferris IS700Z. I decided on the Ferris mainly because of it's ride quality and my local dealer is excellent. I might have gone with the Scag but my local Scag dealer leaves a lot to be desired in the customer service department.

S

sleek06vrod

Hi I have a IS2500Z Diesel that I use to mow just under 4 acres. I have some pretty intense hills and have been toying with the idea of adding tracks to my mower for side hill stability and traction. ferris is2500z.JPG

G

gentry

IS2100Z in 2015 with Kawasaki 26hp all is good except the controls seem to be getting stiff, harder to move.
Anybody have this problem?

Viperous

Viperous

OK, here are the pictures I promised you. Hope you might be able to figure out what this machine is :tongue:

20170622_142916.jpg

20170622_142905.jpg

20170622_142857.jpg

S

sparky357

Just want to say thank you for the chance to share with those who have the same interest. I bought new Ferris IS2100EFI last year and simply love it. Located in South Carolina which has a long grass growing season.

O

ortiesdad

I've purchased a IS2600Z with Yanmar diesel engine and it's time for my first oil change. Can anyone recommend what synthetic oil and appropriate filter to use? Live in PA and cutting only about 4 acres per week.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Irwin, PA

P

pauldeere

Re: New 2100 owner......

Just took delivery of my new 2100 Vanguard 26 h.p. yesterday. I mow 3 acres and yes, my new mower is probably a little over kill. The ground I mow is rough, and my new Ferris makes the seat time much smoother that my old J.D. Hopping to get good info. from this site.....

gentech

gentech

New too the forum, have had my ferris about 4 1/2 years , is2000z 61" 30hp briggs
IMG_20130501_194539_656.jpg

S

scubafc

Got my 3200Z with 37HP Vanguard EFI a year ago. It is a beast.
20170410_122132_crop.jpg

C

chicamuxen

This is my 10th summer cutting grass with my IS1500Z. Only has 48" cut, next one will be a tad larger. I cut about 2-3 acres

20170809_155528.jpg

E

Etemplet

Well I purchased it sooner than I needed to but I just bought my wife a 700Z. :) We had a Snapper Zero turn that was a great mower but can't buy parts and it as about time so.... here we are. I did lots of research over the years and found so many people selling their mowers for almost new prices so.... I just purchased a new one. LOL I'm all about comfort but couldn't justify the 2100. This mower hauls butt. I don't drive it that fast but my wife hammers down and rolls. :) I got the 52" which suits my needs. just under 4 acres.

Cheers,
Gene
Louisiana

Attachments

R

rotax

Picking up my new 3200z today. I hope , waiting for dealer to call.

P

Probity

Just joined the forum this evening. Couple of years back bought a Ferris IS700Z model 5901224 (52" deck with the Kawasaki 23hp FS691V-ES00-S engine). Only 170 hrs on it at present. I use it to cut ~4-5 acres (flat to sloping terrain) around the buildings on our property. Other than the trans drive belt that broke today, no major issues so far. The ground around the edges of where I mow is quite wet after it rains, which is quite often in the spring/fall, and I end up getting the mower stuck at least once about every other time I mow. Thank goodness my Kaw Mule has never had a problem pulling it loose.

At ~150 hrs I changed the transmission oil and filters (plural), it is a real pain to do this service and takes quite a while to get the air out of the system, but persistence paid off and the work is done. Change the engine oil and filter every 50 hrs using the Kaw K-Tech 20w-50 (ordered a case of the oil a while back online).

Overall happy with the machine, the suspension has prevented a lot of pounding on my back, that's the main reason I bought a Ferris vs. the competition.

D

Dennyha

I just picked up my 600Z yesterday, and put it right to work. I cut my one acre lot in about 45 minutes. It worked very nicely, and was fun too.
Ferris Mower.jpg

This is my mower right after it's first acre.
( I don't know why it's loading sideways. The mower normally sits with the deck down. :))

P

pondfisher

Ferris SRS V2 52" Vanguard 810 EFI without Oil Guard - Love IT!, Dixie Chopper Runbehind, Red Max trimmer, Shindaiwa Trimmer, Shindaiwa back pack Blower, echo hand held blower, Shindaiwa Hedge Trimmer, Honda 217HRX, Husky Rancher, Dewalt Power Washer, Bobcat Skidsteer,

R

ronzo63

New IS2100Z Owner

Just purchased a new IS2100Z (61" deck, EFI Vanguard W/OGS, FAST-Vac and EZ Dump). Ran it for first time last night and love it.

D

Deadbolt24

Hey All ,

I'm just a Home owner with 4 neck operations so the ferris is my only and best choice.

Figured I would join to keep up with this and that with my Ferris's I have three ;

1500 48" 1654hrs needs gas tank
3100 61" 2489hrs needs work
2500 yanmar diesel 52" (newest and BEST) 990hrs

D

Dr. Robert

Hello Ferris Forum! I'm introducing myself, will post my "situation" in a separate thread. We own a 3 wheel Ferris Pro Cut 22 w/Kohler power and a 61 inch cutting path, I'll need to check date of manufacture, but believe this a very early 2000's unit (no suspension except the seat) with the single Eaton "hyrdrostatic" pump/wheel drive unit versus the later pump and individual shaft hydro motors. When we bought our home 7 years ago, we got the previous owner to include the Ferris as part of the deal. Such a deal! We mow ~ 6 acres in upstate NY, fairly wide open without a lot fancy footwork involved. We do have some low spots and typically a very wet Spring, and this where I love the Pro Cut set-up (raise the deck, shift weight onto drive wheels). I've only stuck this thing a couple times and there was no one to blame but me. We take our Ferris to a local dealer for annual/seasonal servicing and emergent "Uh-Oh's" that I cannot resolve under a shady tree so to speak - BJ's Outdoor Equipment in Fulton, NY - and I will say that we "shopped around" several service shops before deciding on BJ's. They do a great job and usually don't try and sell me a new mower when mine breaks.:wink:

Thanks for being here....Bob Close

B

Bennieb30

Hi I have a Duel Drive 48" walk behind had a a while just went over everything 2 years ago and replaced a few parts and repainted it and throw on some new decals. Wish I had a pic of the mower after I finished she was like new. But I think maybe next year I will replace her with a fw35 or a Z2.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

G

gfr

I'm looking to upgrade from a Husqvarna 48" 24hp. that really seems to struggle with a larger size lawn. I bought this from lowes about 5 years ago.
If the grass is a little damp it really doesn't do well at all. With ideal conditions it takes over 2 hours to cut 1.7 acres. So I'm looking at a used ferris 61" 30hp briggs, 2009 w/600hrs for $4300.
Is this going to be a noticeable difference, and a fair price?

BlazNT

BlazNT

Hours are correct for the age but at 9 years old $4300 sounds high. $3500 would be more reasonable. But you did not say what Farris you are looking at so this is just based on guessing.

G

Garf

1st time Ferris owner. I purchased the is2100z with 61" deck and B&S 28 Hp vanguard with oil cooler. This mower has changed my life significantly and as most have indicated I should of purchased a similar product 30 years ago - live and learn. Mowing time reduced to 1.6 hrs from roughly 4 hrs. So much time saved that I now mow 2 times a week. Best of all, it isn't such a pain anymore, it is fun.

N

NavyNuke

Almost Ready to buy!

Ferris rep coming out Thursday with a 52" deck. I live on 4 acres at the top of a hill so all 4 acres is pretty steep. I have issues with my current Craftsman 54" GT6000 not able to mow some areas or getting stuck frequently due to wet grass. Hoping this will work. Will see if 52" will do it or if I need to go down to 48:.

I

ironhead3fan

1st post on this forum. Brand new proud owner of the Ferris IS3200z Model# 5901571, Vanguard 37 HP with the Oil Guard and a 72" deck. Demo'ed the same mower with a 61" deck over the weekend. Holy wow, what a mower! Should be more than enough power to handle my 10 acres. No pics just yet, they have to assemble it at the dealer, it's still in the crate!

W

weathda

1st post on this forum. Brand new proud owner of the Ferris IS3200z Model# 5901571, Vanguard 37 HP with the Oil Guard and a 72" deck. Demo'ed the same mower with a 61" deck over the weekend. Holy wow, what a mower! Should be more than enough power to handle my 10 acres. No pics just yet, they have to assemble it at the dealer, it's still in the crate!

Jealous. Congrats! That's the exact mower I want (deck, engine, etc). I spend 3 hours on my 425 weekly and 7.5 hours about four times a year on a Kubota 2550 with a 5 ft bushhog. Would love to mow it all with a big Z. Please post pics when you get it! Are you picking it up or do they deliver?

I

ironhead3fan

Jealous. Congrats! That's the exact mower I want (deck, engine, etc). I spend 3 hours on my 425 weekly and 7.5 hours about four times a year on a Kubota 2550 with a 5 ft bushhog. Would love to mow it all with a big Z. Please post pics when you get it! Are you picking it up or do they deliver?

I am currently mowing with a JD z830a. That mower is a tank but not the most comfortable. I can mow 10 acres in about 3.5 hours comfortably on that one. I expect I'll cut that down to 2 hours on this new mower. I'm pretty excited to get it. I was debating on the 61" or 72". I only have 1 place where it won't fit and I've got other options for that. 20% increase in deck area on my relatively flat piece of ground made that decision an easy one.

I am picking it up. I think it's a tax thing more than anything else. I am buying it the next state over, and yes, I did inquire about no tax, and they said the IRS burned them on that once before so no go on that. I am paying less tax in the other state so I'll pick it up. It's still not that far away.

I'll be sure to post pics once I pick it up.

W

weathda

Same with flat land here. I don't find many 72" decks on dealer lots around here. I tried a Toro 61" Z master a month or so ago on my place and it was considerably faster and made mowing a bit more fun too. Sounds like you'll be getting a fresh mower if it's still in the crate. Looking forward to seeing it!

I

ironhead3fan

Same with flat land here. I don't find many 72" decks on dealer lots around here. I tried a Toro 61" Z master a month or so ago on my place and it was considerably faster and made mowing a bit more fun too. Sounds like you'll be getting a fresh mower if it's still in the crate. Looking forward to seeing it!

I got the last 72" deck this dealer had for 2018. Thumbs up to Cutting Edge Small Engine Repair in Winchester, VA for giving me a good deal on the mower. I called a lot of other dealers within 50 miles, and no one, could touch their price. Now if they would just call so I could pick up my new mower.....

S

svotim

hi, just joined up here. I have a 2015 3200 72 inch efi vanguard mower. I have 5 aces of yard. had a 60 inch dixie for the last 10 years. wish I could get those 10 years over again for the love of my back. Love my Ferris. wont ever have anything else. Found this forum looking for a little info on a cutting out issue with my mower. have a post on here about it. Glad I found this. it looks to be a great forum.

W

weathda

I got the last 72" deck this dealer had for 2018. Thumbs up to Cutting Edge Small Engine Repair in Winchester, VA for giving me a good deal on the mower. I called a lot of other dealers within 50 miles, and no one, could touch their price. Now if they would just call so I could pick up my new mower.....

Did you get it yet???

hi, just joined up here. I have a 2015 3200 72 inch efi vanguard mower. I have 5 aces of yard. had a 60 inch dixie for the last 10 years. wish I could get those 10 years over again for the love of my back. Love my Ferris. wont ever have anything else. Found this forum looking for a little info on a cutting out issue with my mower. have a post on here about it. Glad I found this. it looks to be a great forum.

I'd be interested to hear what your dealer says about your cut-out issue.

I

ironhead3fan

IMG_0990.jpgIMG_0991.jpgIMG_0992.jpgIMG_0993.jpg

Yes I got it. I've been busy making tall grass short!

W

weathda

Congrats! Thanks for the pics. Sharp mower and nice yard! I see you also opted for the suspension seat which doesn't come standard on that model. Bet the seat coupled with the wheel suspension makes for a smooth ride.

D

Dryview

GREETINGS to all Ferris mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower

Hi, I'm John from the Virginia mountains with a Ferris IS600Z 4 years old. I call it the beast (tank was already taken by another thing around here). I like it for it's indestructible build, but am not happy with it's traction on my hills.

I

ironhead3fan

Congrats! Thanks for the pics. Sharp mower and nice yard! I see you also opted for the suspension seat which doesn't come standard on that model. Bet the seat coupled with the wheel suspension makes for a smooth ride.

I figure if you're spending that kind of money on a mower, might as well buy the seat as well.

Padroo

Padroo

I just bought my wife a IS3200 last week. It was an older model but still new for $9,999.00, it doesn't have the oil guard on the Vanguard 32 HP Big Block. She will just be mowing our yard.

What is a good price for one of these anyway?

V

VictoriaFarm

Just purchased a 3200 with the 37hp Vanguard, 61" deck. My dealer had a 2018 model in a crate, upgraded the seat to the new suspension model, threw in a oil filter and 5 quarts of oil, and delivery for $10,500.

Anyone have a need for a new non-suspension seat?

E

EricC

Just purchased a 3200 with the 37hp Vanguard, 61" deck. My dealer had a 2018 model in a crate, upgraded the seat to the new suspension model, threw in a oil filter and 5 quarts of oil, and delivery for $10,500.

no, I stand on mine :)

Padroo

Padroo

Sounds like you did better than me. The 32 hp model is hard on gas.

Ardy

Ardy

New Owner of Ferris IS 1000

New is relative right? I bought a mate of mines old Ferris with 250 hours on it. It has been great but no so great ATM due to moving to steep sloped land! Not sure Ferris is ideal for this land, anybody else using one on steep slopes?

I have had only one problem in the 4 years I have owned it and that was odd, the arms would jam and you could not get them to move, then suddenly it went back to normal. Put it in for service and $900 later it is sort of fixed ie only jammed once in last year,

All in all a great mower which I use in conjunction with my tractor.

E

EricC

Re: New Owner of Ferris IS 1000

New is relative right? I bought a mate of mines old Ferris with 250 hours on it. It has been great but no so great ATM due to moving to steep sloped land! Not sure Ferris is ideal for this land, anybody else using one on steep slopes?

I have had only one problem in the 4 years I have owned it and that was odd, the arms would jam and you could not get them to move, then suddenly it went back to normal. Put it in for service and $900 later it is sort of fixed ie only jammed once in last year,

All in all a great mower which I use in conjunction with my tractor.

How big is the slope? Most ZTR's are going to struggle with decent slopes and are rated for 10 to a max of 15 degrees. I have one that is 17 or 19 depending on if you believe my measured calculations or a 2x4 and my iphone. I had a RaptorSD that was just too light and it sucked on that hill. Point the nose up at an angle and still end up going downhill by the end. It was in the lot next door owned by a church and I'd cut it for them once and a while. I had a simplicity lawn tractor before too, but I'd have to lean too much and it would cut the PTO off. that sucked.

The Church had 950deere ZTR and that guy would drive up and down. The city cut it a couple times with a Kubota commercial, but this kid had no idea what he was doing. He'd start at the top and end up going sliding down sideways. Once we bought it I bought the SRSZ2 from Ferris and i have zero issues going across the slope with this machine.

Some tips, start at the bottom and work your way up. ALways turn uphill. slow down, if you start slipping or nose gets pointed down on some hills, just ride it to the bottom and start over :) But ZTR's aren't the greatest for slopes. If it's too much walk behinds or standers make better options.

M

mattt2778

Hi all,

I purchased a ferris isx 800 this march. It's set up with the 61" deck and the Briggs and Stratton 27 hp carb motor. Coming from a toro timecutter 1644 I'm totally blown away by this machine. The old toro would beat you death at 3mph. I've been running the ferris full stick and my mowing time has gone from 2.5 hrs to 45 minutes. So far it's been an amazing machine. I had been eyeing the is 700 for quite some time but was a little skeptical of the pivot front suspension and the single drive belt. When the 800 came out and had addressed both those issues it was straight to the dealership, so far so good.

Matt,

D

dakota_dj

I purchased a new IS2100Z 61 inch deck and the Oil Guard System in March 2019. This thing is a beast. I have 3 acres to mow and can do it in half the time my Cub Cadet lawn tractor can do it. I still use the Cub for the side ditches, rolling the lawn and spraying.

Attachments

M

MagnumMike

Just took delivery of my 2nd Ferris Z-Turn this past Saturday! Purchased an ISX800Z with the Kawasaki EFI 26.0 hp and 61" ICD deck. This replaces a 2018 IS700Z that I bought just about a year ago. The 700 cut very well, but did not handle my rough lawn, without reducing the speed. Hoping the new 800, with the front suspension will do the trick. I own 20 acres and mow about 6 acres. I also have a JD X300 w/ 42" deck for the trimming. I live about 3 miles from Ferris' manufacturing facility in Central New York.

M

mattt2778

Just took delivery of my 2nd Ferris Z-Turn this past Saturday! Purchased an ISX800Z with the Kawasaki EFI 26.0 hp and 61" ICD deck. This replaces a 2018 IS700Z that I bought just about a year ago. The 700 cut very well, but did not handle my rough lawn, without reducing the speed. Hoping the new 800, with the front suspension will do the trick. I own 20 acres and mow about 6 acres. I also have a JD X300 w/ 42" deck for the trimming. I live about 3 miles from Ferris' manufacturing facility in Central New York.

Be interested to hear the comparison between the 700 and the 800. I was on the fence for years between the the 700 and the 2100. The pivoting front axel on the 700 never seemed to be an adequate solution and the 2100 was out of my budget. Bought the isx800 once I saw it on the website, been a great mower thus far.

D

daybris

intro
hi there :)
i´m Arni and i work with a ferris 400s wich i call the red devil ;)
i have worked with the ferris for 2 years and i´m very pleased compared to husqvarna rider wich is the most common brand in sweden.
i have some problems wich i wrote in a thread here since i found the lawn world in google.
seems like a nice page and maby i can help someone else if i can :)
best regards from an icelander in gothenburg, sweden, europe :)

D

dbwebbsr

New Ferris owner here of a brand new IS2100Z. Vanguard EFI, 61" deck. My very first zero turn - this thing's AWESOME!
Adding a Rhino canopy & some LEDs ASAP.

My dad's got a 10-12 year old Ferris 2000, has only ever had to put gas in it & change the occasional tire. It could pass for new if the red paint wasn't faded.
We're sticklers for proper preventive maintenance, though (grease & oil,) so our stuff lasts longer than most...

J

Jamo

New to me...2008 is2000z

Hi All,

Picking up my Ferris tonight, hope we have a long and happy relationship. It is a very well maintained machine, has the older style (vertical leading edge) 61" deck, and 27hp Kohler.

I'll try pics, didn't work the first time and lost my original reply...

2000z-1.jpg
2000z-2.jpg
2000z-3.jpg

Padroo

Padroo

Re: New to me...2008 is2000z

Hi All,

Picking up my Ferris tonight, hope we have a long and happy relationship. It is a very well maintained machine, has the older style (vertical leading edge) 61" deck, and 27hp Kohler.

I'll try pics, didn't work the first time and lost my original reply...

View attachment 45309
View attachment 45310
View attachment 45311

Good luck with your new baby. I can almost see that smile on your face from here.

J

Jamo

Thanks Padroo...raining today so no mowing. Bummer...