Ferris IS1500z, clicking at start

Edarm160

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ferris is1500Z with a 21 HP Kawasaki engine. Have had issues with the mower starting and need help.

Just clicks when key is turned. Not in the normal places (solenoid or starter motor) though. Clicking is towards the rear of the motor around the intake filter. Originally thought it may have been the battery. Tests fine with voltage. Have also tried new battery as well.

For fun, I replaced the starter motor and solenoid and checked the other safety switches (seat, parking break, PTO, handles) and it all checks out.

Just can’t figure what that other clicking it and why it is not supplying power to the starter motor.
Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carburettor solenoid can click when the ignition is turned on & off if it is in a good condition .
What a shame you decided to toss parts at it before trying to diagnose it
Next to JD Ferris put out the best wiring diagrams, they are in the Parts manual which you should have downloaded the day you got the mower .
Even better they highlite or rather print in bold each circuit so it becomes idiot proof to diagnose .
So start at the key switch then follow the wires
I like to pull the plug & jump the B & S terminals so I do not have to do contortions or grow a third hand to check each item in the circuit for voltage

Edarm160

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. It ended up being a bad ignition switch. On the bright side, bench tested the starter motor and it was bad. Brushes had seized. Was multiple problems. Returned the solenoid also. Thanks for the suggestions and direction.