Ferris 3200z not turning over

Kb2112

Threads
Hi all, new member here.

My neighbor has a stock Ferris 3200z that wont run. He is not very mechanically inclined, so he asked me to have a look at it.

Situation:
It was running for approximately an hour, when he got off the mower to move some rocks and stuff out of the way (like he has has several times before), when the mower shut off. When he sat back down to try and start it, it wouldnt even turn over.

Ive tested the seat, ignition, PTO, and brake switches. All are good. It has 195 hours on the clock, and he has it serviced annually. Its not a commercial machine.

Oil and fuel levels are good (for oil cut off questions).

He's a good family man, and Id like to help him out.

Im out of ideas...

Thank you.

Kb

Kb2112

Threads
I forgot to add,

With the PTO off, the starter solenoid buzzes, with the PTO on it seems to engage the starter but the motor doesn't turn over.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
check the battery voltage with a load on it. I had an Acura RL one day that was running fine, the warning lights all came on while it was idling and the car died. It would not restart. The battery had shorted a cell - just like that. It can be that instantaneous.

Kb2112

Threads
It tested 12.XX volts. This was going into the starter solenoid. Mind you the motor was running just before it shut off. Wouldn't the generator/alternator provide the motor with enough power to keep it going? I could see it not starting after it was shut off, but to stop the motor while it was running?

To me it sounds like some sort of safety switch... JMHO

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
what is the seven model number so I can lookup the correct wiring schematics?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Battery dead flat ?
Ground cable fallen off ?
Either one of them corroded through in the middle ?
And yes once starter the engine will run without any power provided the carb solenoid can get at least 9V @ 10 milli amps

First thing is to check that you can turn the engine over by pushing down on the debris guard on the flywheel & twisting your wrists
Assuming you can do 2 full revolutions then .
Quick test is to get a pair of jumper leads ( boosters to some )
Hook one up to the battery - and then to a good ground on the engine ( drain plug. lifting hook etc )
Turn the starter
Engine cranks = bad ground
No difference then hook the other to the starter motor + lead post on the starter ( careful not to touch he body ) then touch to the + on the battery
Engine should crank
If no then starter or battery is suspect verify by doing the same tests with a known good battery .
If yes then move the jumper to the starter side on the solenoid
Again engine should crank
if no that cable is suspect
Next move it to the battery side of the solenoid & turn the key
Engine cranks then the + cable is suspect

Now back to the beginning
If you can not turn it over by hand remove the spark plugs & try again, check for fuel blowing out of plug hole
If fuel does then it is hydro locked & the carb float is failing so a carb clean / rebuild in on the books

If you can not turn it over by hand with no plugs then remove the blower housing & check if the starter drive gear is jambed in the flywheel ring gear
Some times a quick tap will send it home , rotating the flywheel will sent it home or loosening the mounting bolts will send it home.
Some starters have replaceable drive gears & some don't but when this happens the starter will need some attention .
Usually it will start 100+ times once released & the engine is COLD but will repeat the jambing when hot
The end result will be teeth breaking off the flywheel so both it & the starter will need replacing
Let us know what your find

Kb2112

Threads
I will check it out. Right now he has it locked up in his garage and isnt home.

Thank you for the suggestions, its a new machine and still under warranty. Im not sure how far he wants me to get into it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In that case, just to the tests
Do not put a spannar on it as that can be used to void warranty
Best get the dealer to sort it out unless it is a loose battery cable