fc420v-as10 engine / no spark after warm up,,,BUT Ignition coil is good..

Baklava

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / fc420v-as10 engine / no spark after warm up,,,BUT Ignition coil is good..
Hello all, and thanks in advance for your help.....I have this John Deere lx172 with a Kawasaki FC420V-AS10 engine.....Shuts down after about 4 minutes of running, or until warmed up....So of course I suspected the Ignition Coil.... unhooked kill wire....still no spark....Tell tale sign the coil is bad...I replaced the coil....Same issue....So I said well how ever slight the chance, maybe the new part was bad....Fast forward to getting and installing 3rd I/C....Same problem....None of the shops around here can tell me what it is....HELP PLEASE grass is getting crazy!!!!!! thanks...

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Threads
Hello all, and thanks in advance for your help.....I have this John Deere lt160 with a Kawasaki FC420V-AS10 engine.....Shuts down after about 4 minutes of running, or until warmed up....So of course I suspected the Ignition Coil.... unhooked kill wire....still no spark....Tell tale sign the coil is bad...I replaced the coil....Same issue....So I said well how ever slight the chance, maybe the new part was bad....Fast forward to getting and installing 3rd I/C....Same problem....None of the shops around here can tell me what it is....HELP PLEASE grass is getting crazy!!!!!! thanks...

Spark plug..

Baklava

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, and thanks in advance for your help.....I have this John Deere lt160 with a Kawasaki FC420V-AS10 engine.....Shuts down after about 4 minutes of running, or until warmed up....So of course I suspected the Ignition Coil.... unhooked kill wire....still no spark....Tell tale sign the coil is bad...I replaced the coil....Same issue....So I said well how ever slight the chance, maybe the new part was bad....Fast forward to getting and installing 3rd I/C....Same problem....None of the shops around here can tell me what it is....HELP PLEASE grass is getting crazy!!!!!! thanks...

I wish it were that simple....Plug is good....tried two new plugs in the beggining....Thanks though.....

Baklava

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am leaning more towards the Ignitor Module.....although if its bad it should just not work at all in my experience....Its should not work then shut off when warm like the ignition coil.....I am freakin stumped....Any other ideas out there?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK lets get some useful information.
There are 2 types of ignitions for these engines.
1) original, this has a coil and an ignition module
2) superceeded which has the module in the coil

Which one you got ?

Transistors do not like heat
Transistors have a finite service life
The potting on solid state control units shrinks with age & heat so eventually lets in water
Solid stae ignition units generate heat which they do not like so must be kept clean and have good mechanical contact to whatever is sucking out the heat.

123dma

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the same problem. However My ingine does not have the trigger . Tested two new coils and the old one , all are puting out great spark .. When placed on the engine and gaped properly ... nothing. I"m wondering if the magnet on the fly wheel has gone bad.. It has plenty of pull , but I wonder about the Polarity. Would appreciate any help on this matter.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I am having the same problem. However My ingine does not have the trigger . Tested two new coils and the old one , all are puting out great spark .. When placed on the engine and gaped properly ... nothing. I"m wondering if the magnet on the fly wheel has gone bad.. It has plenty of pull , but I wonder about the Polarity. Would appreciate any help on this matter.
Try flipping the coil over, as in the left leg would become the right leg. that should tell you if it was a polarity issue

Last edited:

Hoegrl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was the issue of quoting after 4 minutes ever resolved? I am having similar problem, but takes about 10 minutes for it to quit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My go to for these types of problems is to fit an orange in line spark tester then go mow
When I hear the engine start missing I look at the tester
If it glows then flashed orange but there is no bang from the exhaust then you have a fuel problem
If it stops flashing at the same time the engine starts to stop ( gees mu English teacher would love that one ) then you have a problem with the coil or the kill circuit .