Factory greasing of spindles

theplayer11

Threads
This is prime example of why I don't like dealers.

I asked my dealer about changing the hydraulic fluid, and his response was "don't worry about it"
Really?...suppose to change at 200 hours.

sbatzold

Forum Newbie
Threads
I asked my dealer about changing the hydraulic fluid, and his response was "don't worry about it"
Really?...suppose to change at 200 hours.

I said something to mine about changing the Hydraulic filter in the fall or spring and he wouldn't recommend until oil change at 200hrs??

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I said something to mine about changing the Hydraulic filter in the fall or spring and he wouldn't recommend until oil change at 200hrs??

I agree with the not changing till oil change. Filter should be designed for that.

sbatzold

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with the not changing till oil change. Filter should be designed for that.

But if it takes me 2-3 years to get to that hour mark what is the harm in changing the filter? Seams it would do more good than bad to change it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If oil filter is dirty then so is oil. So change both at same time. Every time you open something up it will get contaminates in it. Leeave it alone till it needs it. If I check engine oil and find dirtier than expected oil I change both.

theplayer11

Threads
follow up..mowed about 10 hours and thought I would see how much grease to top of spindles. From factory, took me 50 pumps to see grease coming out of weep holes. Well, another 30 pumps until I saw grease out of weep hole and this time it was my red Halvoline Crimson, no sign of the clearer factory grease that came out the first time.
So, what the heck is going on? I guess this must be normal, but I thought a few pumps a couple times a season (homeowner use) would be fine, but Ferris website FAQ does state to grease until you see it ooze from weep hole.

Midniteoyl

Threads
follow up..mowed about 10 hours and thought I would see how much grease to top of spindles. From factory, took me 50 pumps to see grease coming out of weep holes. Well, another 30 pumps until I saw grease out of weep hole and this time it was my red Halvoline Crimson, no sign of the clearer factory grease that came out the first time.
So, what the heck is going on? I guess this must be normal, but I thought a few pumps a couple times a season (homeowner use) would be fine, but Ferris website FAQ does state to grease until you see it ooze from weep hole.

Whats the manual say for a daily grease? It might be that they only want to see them filled the first time, then 2-4 pumps before each use or so many hours. My manual states 'Initial' greasing of 8-10 pumps, then 2-3 pumps every 8-10hrs of use, for example.

theplayer11

Threads
Whats the manual say for a daily grease? It might be that they only want to see them filled the first time, then 2-4 pumps before each use or so many hours. My manual states 'Initial' greasing of 8-10 pumps, then 2-3 pumps every 8-10hrs of use, for example.
manual does not mention how often. Ferris website does state monthly for homeowner use and daily for commercial on the spindles and casters.

"The spindles and caster wheels are generally the most often greased. If you are a light use homeowner, then greasing the mower at the beginning and middle of the season is generally enough. The spindles and castor wheels should be done around once a month because of the moving interior parts. Commercial mowers that put hundreds of hours on their Ferris mower would be looking at greasing the mower everyday depending on usage. FYI: the spindles have a large cavity in them for the grease to set into. You will find that it takes a larger amount of grease than everything else on the mower. Spindles should be greased until you confirm grease is pushing out of the weep hole located on the bottom section of the spindle."

Buckethead

Threads
Well, Ferris Site states:
FYI: the spindles have a large cavity in them for the grease to set into. You will find that it takes a larger amount of grease than everything else on the mower. Spindles should be greased until you confirm grease is pushing out of the weep hole located on the bottom section of the spindle.

So, why doesn't factory grease them fully? Took me 50 pumps to start seeing factory grease come out the weep holes on my new 600Z. I guess I should have checked before first mow, took me 3. There are also 2 zerk fittings under the seat with a bolt directly in front so no way standard fitting will work. Would a needle fitting work there..stick it right into the zerk?

Hi, I checked every zerk on my 2016 is600z the day I got it. I know which zerks you are talking about with the bolts close to them. I found that my flex hose would fit those zerks. They are the pivots for the rear suspension. Although I noticed a glob of grease on one of these fittings and found that there was a zerk cap with a ring abound the zerk base that wouldn't let grease go in. I removed the cap and ring and got grease to go in.
That means that the factory never got any grease into that pivot. I ask the guy that delivered the mower if the service dept. greased the mower and he said the factory did it. Well they didn't get that one! Just goes to show that you better check everything on the mower before you use it.

wojphoto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I checked every zerk on my 2016 is600z the day I got it. I know which zerks you are talking about with the bolts close to them. I found that my flex hose would fit those zerks. They are the pivots for the rear suspension. Although I noticed a glob of grease on one of these fittings and found that there was a zerk cap with a ring abound the zerk base that wouldn't let grease go in. I removed the cap and ring and got grease to go in.
That means that the factory never got any grease into that pivot. I ask the guy that delivered the mower if the service dept. greased the mower and he said the factory did it. Well they didn't get that one! Just goes to show that you better check everything on the mower before you use it.

Rehashing an old post since I didn't find anything in the search.
Can anyone here tell me how many grease fittings there are?

I found 14 but seems to be 2 more near the hydro's that I can't find according to the manual. I have the IS700Z.