Export thread

F engine round steel muffler. Use sealer?

P

Phototone

The typical "F" series muffler, round steel, bolts to an aluminum muffler plate with 3 bolts around the crankshaft, with a crankshaft "support" plate. It is just a pressure seal around the outside edge. Other than cleaning the mating surfaces, does any one use any type of sealer when refurbishing and decarbonizing, in replacing the muffler??

H

Hammerdown

Hello
Originally I think that there was an asbestos Rope style seal used in that area. I would surmise since we can no longer get our hand's on any asbestos, a Good High Temperature sealent would work in it's Place like RTV from permatex. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

reynoldston

reynoldston

Hello
Originally I think that there was an asbestos Rope style seal used in that area. I would surmise since we can no longer get our hand's on any asbestos, a Good High Temperature sealent would work in it's Place like RTV from permatex. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

I have been there and tried it, even the high temp RTV will burn out. If you go to a auto parts store they should have a special sealer for exhaust systems. When it dries it very hard.

beg

beg

you must be refering to muffler putty and I think that would work Is it important to have a good seal there?my commercial f motor did not have any seal there as I noticed when I took the muffler off to grill it on my weber.that motor runs pretty wet and has low rpm.carb has been cleaned but its a plastic walbro not the metal one it came with from the factory.Is this no seal on the muffler causing this?

impalass

impalass

you must be refering to muffler putty and I think that would work Is it important to have a good seal there?my commercial f motor did not have any seal there as I noticed when I took the muffler off to grill it on my weber.that motor runs pretty wet and has low rpm.carb has been cleaned but its a plastic walbro not the metal one it came with from the factory.Is this no seal on the muffler causing this?
I had a hole in one muffler and it did not affect the rpm. RPM should be 2900 + or - 300.