Exmark Metro Dies When Blades Are Engaged

mtothero

Threads
I have an Exmark Metro with the Kawasaki FB460V engine. I have had it for several years and it has given me relatively little trouble - until now.

I was planning to do a final Fall cleanup last week. I had a difficult time staring the engine (I lost count of how many times I had to pull the cord). It finally did start and I let it run for a minute or so.

Once it sounded okay, I engaged the blades. At that point, the engine died. I restarted it and let it run a while longer before I tried to engage the blades. It made no difference - the engine died as soon as I engaged the blades. I repeated this one more time and then gave up.

Any advice on identifying and correcting this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

mtothero

Threads

LoCo86

Threads
I have an Exmark Metro with the Kawasaki FB460V engine. I have had it for several years and it has given me relatively little trouble - until now. I was planning to do a final Fall cleanup last week. I had a difficult time staring the engine (I lost count of how many times I had to pull the cord). It finally did start and I let it run for a minute or so. Once it sounded okay, I engaged the blades. At that point, the engine died. I restarted it and let it run a while longer before I tried to engage the blades. It made no difference - the engine died as soon as I engaged the blades. I repeated this one more time and then gave up. Any advice on identifying and correcting this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you making sure that your manual parking brake is off before engaging the blades. If it is then I would look into your kill switches on the mower. Especially the brake. If you Metro is like my Turf Tracer then when you release the brake it pushes in a button when fully released. It metal lever of the brake when let down to release the handbrake might not be pushing in that button all the way. You can test this quickly by holding the button with one hand and engaging the blades with the other just make sure your feet are away from the bottom of the deck for when the blades come on. And also you will have to tie down your operator presence controls.

derekrobinson1980

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also, you can check the wiring that plugs into the transmission. Make sure the two connections into the neutral switch are connected properly. It may think the mower is in gear when it is not. You may need to unplug the two wires from the tranny and put the them together, then try and engage the blades....I am referring to a 48" belt driven metro....have used them for years, great mowers.