Exmark Lazer Z Transmission Filter Issue/Question

GerryF

Forum Newbie
Threads
In the process of getting the ExMark Lazer Z ready for the first cut of the season and I want to change the transmission oil and filter. The current transmission filter is an ExMark 1-513211 which is supposed to be 10 micron bi-directional. Went on the Exmark website and this filter is discontinued and replaced by ExMark 109-4180 (also confirmed by a phone call to a local ExMark dealer) which is 25 micron. Various forums say to not go with anything but a 10 micron filter for the transmission.
I found a Stens 120-380 on line that says it is a 10 micron filter.
My question is---Has anybody had any experience with using a Stens for the transmission oil filter on an ExMark Lazer Z? Any other input or suggestions would be appreciated.
Hard to believe ExMark would discontinue a filter and offer a replacement that doesn't meet the specs that Exmark recommends!!!

Born2Mow

Threads
There are numerous filter cross-over lists on the internet. Using these it's very easy to find equivalent filters. Obviously Exmark doesn't make filters, they buy filters and have them branded with their name. Matching up a filter can be an easy way to save significant sums if the matching is done correctly.

Five items to match up...
> Thread size (Inch or metric)
> Fluid (fuel, lubricants, hydraulic, etc)
> Micron rating of the filter material
> Physical size *
> By pass pressure **

* Often times you can easily accommodate a slightly longer canister that's the same diameter. This can be advantageous for those who change the filter infrequently. A longer hydraulic filter might be in greater danger of being struck by a rock, and therefore not a good decision, but the 708 V-twin can easily accept a longer oil filter canister.

** Spin-on canister type filters usually have an internal valve that allows very cold, super-viscous liquids to temporarily by-pass the filter element so that the machine is not starved for lubrication. This is especially important for engine oil filters.

Also, the older auto parts stores that still have the books usually have a HUGE filter cross reference library.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not on your mower, but have fitted them to others without problems.
Any brand name nationally retailed filter should be fine.
Down here Stens give a 12 month warranty on their filters as do Rotary & Prime Line .
Avoid buying them from cyber retailers who do not have a physical presence ( street address ) as a lot of the stuff sold on Amazon & ebay is either quality control rejects or strait out counterfit .
As B2M mentioned above just so long as the specs are the same there is no problems interchanging
I for instance fit the big B & S oil filters to everything where thy will fit in the space.
Tranny filters are the same, the larger the filter the better as there is more surface area for the oil to pass through , but remember to add that little extra oil to make up for the increased volume.

cruzenmike

Threads
In the process of getting the ExMark Lazer Z ready for the first cut of the season and I want to change the transmission oil and filter. The current transmission filter is an ExMark 1-513211 which is supposed to be 10 micron bi-directional. Went on the Exmark website and this filter is discontinued and replaced by ExMark 109-4180 (also confirmed by a phone call to a local ExMark dealer) which is 25 micron. Various forums say to not go with anything but a 10 micron filter for the transmission.
I found a Stens 120-380 on line that says it is a 10 micron filter.
My question is---Has anybody had any experience with using a Stens for the transmission oil filter on an ExMark Lazer Z? Any other input or suggestions would be appreciated.
Hard to believe ExMark would discontinue a filter and offer a replacement that doesn't meet the specs that Exmark recommends!!!
To be honest I would either contact Exmark directly or trust your dealer and the Genuine Exmark part(s) that they sell. If Exmark superseded a 10 micron filter with a 25 micron one they would have done so with confidence of it's ability to perform to their expectations. Most oil filters that you cross reference against the original filler only look to match filter fitment but are likely NOT bi-directional. If you even try to search for bi-directional oil filters you will likely only come up with those for designed for industrial hydraulic equipment. This is due to the nature by which the oil in these systems flow. An automotive oil filter is designed to capture particulates only as the fluid travels in one direction through the filter media.

GerryF

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Exmark Lazer Z Transmission Filter Issue/Question
Bit the bullet and have the ExMark 109-4180 filter coming. Tried calling Stens to find out if their filter was bi-directional and since I am not a Stens dealer, they wouldn't even talk to me. I'll never even think of using a part from Stens ever again. Sad that ExMark feels they need to charge twice as much for a transmission filter, but I'll just have to live with that. Thanks for the replies to my original question.

mudpie

Threads
  • / Exmark Lazer Z Transmission Filter Issue/Question
For whatever it's worth, I'm looking to change the filter on my mower as well. That filter number (1094180) cross references to a WIX 51374, which can be had at most auto parts stores for about 10 bucks. I went to their website and entered all my info just to verify, and that's what came up.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    68 KB · Views: 6