Export thread

Exmark Lazer will not start when warm

C

crowev

My Exmark Lazer Z HP - 23 HP Kawasaki runs fine until it warms up. If I have to shut it down it will not re-start for 30 minutes up to an hour. Don't know if this
could be starter relay, starter or what. Not sure how to check this out and would appreciate input from anyone that might have experienced and resolved this problem.

Thanks,

briggs

briggs

dose it have an auto choke on it

A

allenb4473

Im having the same issue and I do not have an auto choke. Here's my question copy/pasted from elsewhere:

I'm having trouble with a 19 HP Kawasaki engine on my 52" Exmark Lazer Z CT. It runs fine till it warms up then it dies and wont crank back up till it cools. I've recently changed the fuel, fuel filter, battery, and oil along with a few non-related things last night. It'll fire up with ether but wont stay running if hot. Carb maybe? I hate to dig into that thing and mess it up.

M

mowerman05

My last mower was a toro 52 inch with a 19 hp Kawasaki that would not start when hot, had the valves adjusted and it worked fine, no problems.

R

redfish9

Check coils when they are hot

Carscw

Carscw

Check coils when they are hot

What he means is take out the spark plug and check for spark.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

A

armadilloholejumper

I have a quest with the same engine that only has 20 hrs. on it. It is doing the same thing. I normally dont have to wait quite that long for it to restart though. I havent taken it to the dealer yet but i talked to them and he said he had seen one other like it. He said it was a bad starter.

A

armadilloholejumper

Has anyone figured out for sure what the problem is?

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

My guess would be some type of starter or coil problem

C

crowev

I did resolve problem when I changed relay. I replaced it with an OEM and had same problem 3 months later, then bought a heavy duty at Tractor Supply with same mounting holes. It immediately turned over faster, started quicker and no further problems.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I did resolve problem when I changed relay. I replaced it with an OEM and had same problem 3 months later, then bought a heavy duty at Tractor Supply with same mounting holes. It immediately turned over faster, started quicker and no further problems.

Glad you fixed it! :thumbsup:

12Royboy12

Is your mower a 52 zero turn 1
Is your mower a 52" 19 hp lazer Z CT? If so you wouldn't have to know the number of the new Relay you got some tractor supply's with you

I

IrishJO4

My Exmark Lazer Z HP - 23 HP Kawasaki runs fine until it warms up. If I have to shut it down it will not re-start for 30 minutes up to an hour. Don't know if this
could be starter relay, starter or what. Not sure how to check this out and would appreciate input from anyone that might have experienced and resolved this problem.

Thanks,

I

IrishJO4

If it cranks but won't start, It could be a faulty fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the float bowl on the carburetor. The windings go bad in the solenoid and it shuts the fuel off, even if the 12 volt feed to it has 12 volts while key is on ! Some of them are assembled in separate pieces and you could unthread it from the carb and take out the pin, screw it back in and try it that way. But you should get a new one on Ebaky to stop possible backfiring and blowing the muffler off !! Don't throw the old on out because you might need it for parts / reference , like I did when I got one from the dealer. I used the old one to modify the new one from the dealer so the machine would start !! Lesson learned !! Good luck !! IrishJO4

B

Born2Mow

Your issue was most likely not the relay itself, but corrosion on the relay terminals. Corrosion on electrical terminals is common if the mower is washed regularly or stored in a enclosed area with high humidity. Application of a professional grade electrical terminal anti-oxidation compound (such as No-Ox-Id) to the relay terminals before inserting the relay into the socket will help prevent this issue.