Engine Won't Start After Winter

curtiscosby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I have a riding mower with I believe a Briggs and Stratton engine. When I have tried to start it up this spring it is giving a bit of trouble. I can spin the engine by hand. I just removed the cover off the top and spun the wheel. It has a lot of pressure but after I hold some pressure on it it will start to spin. Then after about 1 revolution it comes free. I do hear a little bit of a hissing noise while I'm spinning by hand. Once I have it free I am trying to start it with the battery/ignitions switch. When I try to start it with the battery it will turn about 1 to 2 revolutions and then seize up again. Then the winning noise goes on for a few more seconds like it's some type of pressure relaeasing. Any ideas?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have a snake inside the engine. Just kidding.

Sounds like valve adjustment time or look into the battery and grounds.

Does the oil dipstick smell like fuel? Remove the stick and smell it.

slomo

curtiscosby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ha, in my barn a snake is a possibility.....

I bought a new battery to ensure that wasn't the issue. I will check the grounds to make sure they are good. I'll get out there later today and check the oil to ensure it doesn't smell like fuel.

If the oil does what does that mean? Would a valve adjustment take care of that?

Thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ha, in my barn a snake is a possibility.....

I bought a new battery to ensure that wasn't the issue. I will check the grounds to make sure they are good. I'll get out there later today and check the oil to ensure it doesn't smell like fuel.

If the oil does what does that mean? Would a valve adjustment take care of that?

Thanks
Oil smelling like fuel means the carb needs repaired slash cleaned out. Specifically the carb needle and seat are leaking/passing fuel into the cylinder when they are not supposed to. This floods the engine and soon after oil sump. When you pull the stick and it smells like gas.......

Valve adjustment can help the hard starting issue. These engines have a compression release to assist in easier starting. Or your starter might be getting weak. Starter solenoid might be taking a dirt nap too.

slomo

curtiscosby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay that is all extremely helpful. I will take a look with those things in mind.

Thanks