Engine & Transmission Problems - Need Help and Advise

CrazyChase

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Engine & Transmission Problems - Need Help and Advise
The spark plug I know is ok, it is new as I bought it last fall around the same time I did the oil change. I tested it again this morning and I do get a spark. I think I will try draining the old fuel out and putting some fresh fuel in the system and see what that does. Someone once recommended to me that I spray a little bit of either into where the air filter is, does that seem like a good idea?

Also, I haven't tackled the brakes yet today.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Gas is better than spray start - spray can damage the cylinder. - you need all the bad gas gone . Don't add new gas to the old . The flash point of the fuel has changed - wont start .

CrazyChase

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like I need to drain the old gas out of the tank and inspect the carburetor. Any tips on how to drain the gas, and what can I do with it if it has gone bad?

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
At our shop we put the bad gas in our pick up trucks - we only get 9 mpg anyhow so it burns up quick .
Correct ways to get rid of it is to bring it to your county hazmat dump where they take paint, oil etc

CrazyChase

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I got the brakes/transmission issue fixed. I was right when I said that I was probably going to have to do some cleaning because there was a lot of dirt and debris buildup where the brakes were. After clearing that out I followed your recommendation and sprayed some of the joints with WD-40, and then scrubbed it a little bit with a small brush. It works just fine, all that's left for me to do is to get the engine going.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
We get machines at work that take several hours to clean off the mud dirt dried grass ... No excuse !!!

CrazyChase

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry to be reviving an old topic but I'm still in need of help. I've been busy the last week or so and haven't been able to work on the mower until a couple of days ago. Anyways, I talked to a neighbor who has had experience with small engines. After I told him my problem he suggested that I don't have enough compression in the engine, and that I should adjust the valve spring. My problem is that I don't know which one to adjust. I took a photo of it:

ipodtouch017.jpg