Engine Swap

ARHopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine on my Grasshopper Model 220 w/52" deck has seized up - Kohler CH20 20hp Command. Has anyone gone with other engines than OEM and if so, which brands converted with the least modification? Before I go down a frustrating road would love to learn from others real experiences. Also if I go up in HP from 20 to 23 any problems with that? Thanks in advance for feedback.

BWH

Threads
I know of a fellow locally that installed a Predator from Harbor Freight on an old 718 Grasshopper if has lasted two seasons of a very large acreage. He said it wasn't too bad of conversion but I think he put some time in. I don't know anything about a predator engine but most likely come from China. Probably not the highest quality, why not use a direct replacement from small engine wharehouse? Might be most reasonable solution in the long run.

ARHopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. The Predator is an option and cheaper but will require several modifications. I will most likely buy OEM from Northern Tool as seems to have best price. I'm not finding rebuilt engines online and local shops not doing much rebuilding anymore.

keakar

Threads
The engine on my Grasshopper Model 220 w/52" deck has seized up - Kohler CH20 20hp Command. Has anyone gone with other engines than OEM and if so, which brands converted with the least modification? Before I go down a frustrating road would love to learn from others real experiences. Also if I go up in HP from 20 to 23 any problems with that? Thanks in advance for feedback.
just buy a used mower with a good engine, you can find them all the time for around $100 on facebook marketplace, craigslist, or letgo

you can go up in hp with no issues but you NEVER want to go down more then 1 or 2 hp at the most below what the mower came with or the engine may struggle and not cut well in tall grass or even choke out.

briggs or kohler are plug and play swaps but kohlers are wider and if the hood clearance is close with a broken B&S then the kohler wont allow the hood to fit. another note is the directional airflow ring under the hood may not fit but removing them wont cause issues unless your cutting grass in the desert lol

Last edited: