Export thread

Engine Spitting Fuel Through Intake

R

rebeltaz

I had a zero turn come into the shop. The guy said that they had had the engine "rebuilt" and since then no one could get it running. I finally got it running - it had a lot of electrical issues - but once I did, it wasn't running right. Without the air breather installed it runs OK, but it is spitting fuel out through the carburetor. A lot of fuel. When you re-install the air breather, the engine runs bogs down and and runs rough.

I checked the carburetor. The float is not adjustable. The carb is clean and the needle and seat are functioning properly.

I checked compression and both cylinders are running at 150 psi.

I still want to think that it's a leaky intake valve - or one that isn't seating right - but with the compression so high....

I don't own a leak-down tester. I was thinking about getting one, but I was wondering if I couldn't just attach a compressor to the cylinder? I'd really only need to listen for leaking air, not necessarily read a gauge.

Any thoughts?

B

bertsmobile1

As it has just been "rebuilt" and by the sounds of it quite badly, I would suspect the cam being out of time.
Remove the air filter & any air horn then secure the carb.
Put your pinky in front of the carb and run the engine.
If the exhausted gas feels hot then suspect that the cam is 1 tooth advanced
If it is cold then suspect cam 1 tooth retarded.

If there is a lot of venting from the breather check that it is only blowing & not sucking
If sucking as well then reed valve is bad if only blowing then probably a blown head gasket.

R

rebeltaz

As it has just been "rebuilt" and by the sounds of it quite badly, I would suspect the cam being out of time.
Remove the air filter & any air horn then secure the carb.
Put your pinky in front of the carb and run the engine.
If the exhausted gas feels hot then suspect that the cam is 1 tooth advanced
If it is cold then suspect cam 1 tooth retarded.

If there is a lot of venting from the breather check that it is only blowing & not sucking
If sucking as well then reed valve is bad if only blowing then probably a blown head gasket.

The guy is trying to decide whether he wants me to go any further, but I will check that cam gear. Thank you!

R

rebeltaz

Just an update... The cam is in time. I also rotated the pistons to top-dead-center with both valves closed and injected air into the cylinders. There is no air leaking anywhere... I am stuck...

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I just wonder if something is up with compression release on the camshaft
If it releases on the intake valve it might blow fuel back...

Just an uneducated guess..

cpurvis

cpurvis

Where does the crankcase vent system re-enter the intake?

R

rebeltaz

I just wonder if something is up with compression release on the camshaft
If it releases on the intake valve it might blow fuel back...

Just an uneducated guess..

I'm going to have to disassemble quite a bit to get to that, but before I do, if that were the case, wouldn't I hear leaking when I pressurize the cylinder?

Where does the crankcase vent system re-enter the intake?

It goes directly into the intake side of the carburetor.

IMG_0975.JPG ......... IMG_0976.JPG

cpurvis

cpurvis

If you can, disconnect the EGR hose start the engine and see if that makes the problem go away.

R

rebeltaz

If you can, disconnect the EGR hose start the engine and see if that makes the problem go away.

I'll put it back together Monday and let you know.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I'm going to have to disassemble quite a bit to get to that, but before I do, if that were the case, wouldn't I hear leaking when I pressurize the cylinder?

It goes directly into the intake side of the carburetor.

View attachment 45996 ......... View attachment 45997

Ahh, yes you would hear it leaking....

R

rebeltaz

Hey... I was thinking. Before I put this back together... if that does fix the problem, what would the cause be? The only thing that I can think would be if compression was leaking past the rings. If that were the case, I shouldn't have such high compression (150psi), would I?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

150 is about right.
I have a 1 cylinder 9 Horse engine with a spec of 176 psi.

150 is about right.
I have a 1 cylinder 9 Horse engine with a spec of 176 psi.

Scrubcadet- Does the 9 horse have a lot of carbon in combustion area, including piston top ?

cpurvis

cpurvis

Hey... I was thinking. Before I put this back together... if that does fix the problem, what would the cause be? The only thing that I can think would be if compression was leaking past the rings. If that were the case, I shouldn't have such high compression (150psi), would I?
It can get in the crankcase through a worn exhaust valve guide.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet- Does the 9 horse have a lot of carbon in combustion area, including piston top ?

Lol! That's the spec in the manual for the Kawasaki Fe 290
But I mis typed,it's 160.

10-4..

R

rebeltaz

It can get in the crankcase through a worn exhaust valve guide.

OK... so I put everything back together, disconnected the crankcase ventilation hose and started it back up. Still got the gas spraying out the intake and running way rich.

cpurvis

cpurvis

You've checked that the cam timing is correct, and that the compression release is working as it should?

R

rebeltaz

You've checked that the cam timing is correct, and that the compression release is working as it should?

I have checked the cam timing. There's a photo earlier in this thread that I took of that. The compression release, no... to look at that, I'm going to have to pull the camshaft out to see it. I did inject air into the cylinders, though, and I couldn't hear any leaks with the valves closed and the piston at top dead center.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I have checked the cam timing. There's a photo earlier in this thread that I took of that. The compression release, no... to look at that, I'm going to have to pull the camshaft out to see it. I did inject air into the cylinders, though, and I couldn't hear any leaks with the valves closed and the piston at top dead center.

I don't think that's a valid check of the compression release but I'm not familiar with your engine. There wouldn't be much point in a compression release still being open at TDC.

R

rebeltaz

I don't think that's a valid check of the compression release but I'm not familiar with your engine. There wouldn't be much point in a compression release still being open at TDC.

Back to the workbench :) I'll pull it back down and pull that cam out.

K

Kent82

Did u ever resolve this issue? I’m having the same thing happen

H

hlw49

Did you by chance check the lift of the cam to see if the valves are opening as they should.

H

hlw49

This would indicate a worn out cam

Might not get a response, that member has not been here since Nov 5, 2019.