Engine runs but zero turn will not move forward or backward

X-Mark

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Engine runs but zero turn will not move forward or backward
Well I just received a call from the wife. She was mowing our lawn and the EXMark was running great when all of a sudden without warning it stopped moving.

Engine is running, blades are spinning but it is dead in its tracks. She turned it off and looked under the seat and under the mower and all looks normal. I had her check the oil tank reservoir and the fluid level is perfect up to the top of the baffle. There are no oil leaks.

She said there is a little more resistance on the right side lever than on the left side but neither wheel will move.

The mower is a 2001 model 48 inch cut with a 21 HP Kawasaki engine. It has 700 hours on it. I changed the engine oil and filter along with the hydraulic filter about two months back.

I will need to inspect and hopefully repair tomorrow when I am off. Any suggestions on where to start and what to look for are appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is this one belt driven has anyone check the drive belt..? also the puller key..!

KenParsons

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I just received a call from the wife. She was mowing our lawn and the EXMark was running great when all of a sudden without warning it stopped moving.

Engine is running, blades are spinning but it is dead in its tracks. She turned it off and looked under the seat and under the mower and all looks normal. I had her check the oil tank reservoir and the fluid level is perfect up to the top of the baffle. There are no oil leaks.

She said there is a little more resistance on the right side lever than on the left side but neither wheel will move.

The mower is a 2001 model 48 inch cut with a 21 HP Kawasaki engine. It has 700 hours on it. I changed the engine oil and filter along with the hydraulic filter about two months back.

I will need to inspect and hopefully repair tomorrow when I am off. Any suggestions on where to start and what to look for are appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Mine just did the exact same thing. I had been mowing for less than 10 minutes, made a turn going downhill, the mower continued running, blades spinning... and the mower slowed down and came to a stop. There is slight resistance on both steering sticks, now, when in drive position (never noticed any resistance but wasn't looking for it either) and the mower will not move.
Mower is approximately 2 years old. Excellent condition. No previous problems. New blades.
Front deck bumped a root on last mow and caused the left blade (of two) to make a small noise hitting it on occasion, I had pulled the deck back out, but apparently not quite enough to keep blade clear at all times. That does not appear to be the problem unless there is some sensor which would cause the unit to stop...

The belt on the deck is turning fine and spinning the blades fine.

I've checked the rear transmission release "pins" and they are in the correct position (and I've tried it in both positions).

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The deck belt does not make the mower move, the transmission belt does that job
It is hard to see as it is right up against the engine bay floor
They often hump off the pulley and end up between the pulley & the fan so look like they are in the right place but are not .

SHB

Threads
Check the pump belt.