Engine keeps cutting out when it gets hot.

Camms61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I have a Toro 21766 recycler awd lawn mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine which keeps cutting out when the engine gets hot but if I leave the mower for a while, about 15 to 20 minutes to cool down I can start the engine again.
The mower will then run until it gets hot and then it cuts out again.
The outside air temperature doesn't appear to cause this cutting out problem.
I have replaced the fuel, fitted a new spark plug a new air filter but none of these changes has made a difference.
Can anyone suggest what could be causing this heat related engine cutting out problem?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm going to guess your ignition coil is failing when hot.
Buy a glow spark tester and check for spark after it dies.
Harbor Freight also has these.
You can also fit it, and go mow, when the mower dies, if the coil is good , you should see spark as the engine is winding down. If not, bad coil.
You could also introduce a different fuel source, (starting fluid or brake parts cleaner) after the mower dies, remove the air filter, spray some starting fluid of brake parts cleaner into the carburetor, pull the rope a few times. It should fire if there is spark.

Bertrrr

Threads
Make sure the shroud around the flywheel / coil area is clean so air can flow freely

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BEfore you go fixing problems that may not be there isolate the problem
When the mower stops give it a quick short shot of carb cleaner / starter fluid down the carb throat
IF it fires right away then you have a fuel problem
IF it does not fire then you have al electrical problem
Old mechanics adage
"75% of all ignition problems are caused by the carburettor and visa versa "

Camms61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all your advice on this matter.
I opted for replacement of the ignition coil which fortunately appears to have solved the problem as I have mowed the lawns today without any cutting out issues.
Regards
Camms61.