Electrical questions on a Briggs, Vanguard, 20hp engine

toad1

Forum Newbie
I am working on a Vanguard 20hp engine model #351447-1180-a1. I received it removed from its original mower. It had no spark when I got it. I removed the kill wires from the coils, and still nothing so I replaced the coils with part # 591459. I also replaced the wire assembly #493792. [the one with the diodes in it. Now the motor runs but does not shut off when I ground the end of the kill wire assembly. I now see that there is a part #690809 labeled Stop wire. Can anyone tell me how/where that was wired? Thanks in advance for any help. [Reference page 10 of the enclosed attachment]
 

Attachments

Try this first. Disconnect one of the plug wires. Start the engine and using a jumper wire to kill terminal of the coil that is running the engine to see if it kills the engine. That will narrow if it is the harness or not. Also you can do a diode test with a meter to see if the diodes weren't installed back to back since there is two in each coil's kill lead. I even seen one case where the diodes were installed backwards.

And I have no experience on the other stop wire setup. Of course I never have been looking for it either.
 
Back
Top