Electric vs manual PTO for 100/200 series

Eddie S

Threads
Hi all. I've got to replace my '04 Craftsman LT1000 (made by HOP) with a new 42" bagging mower. Been eyeing the S130, S220 and S240 (because of the V-twin and electric PTO), but since they aren't available anywhere, I'm looking at used. Found several good used V-twin models, but they all have the manual blade engagement.

I can't remember how many times I've had to work on the engagement cable and pullies on the LT1000, but it's a LOT. Where I mow, there's lots of dirt and debris that jam the mechanism, keeping the blades engaged. Can't get off the mower to empty the bags with engine running without risking losing a few toes, which I'm not willing to do. BTW, I love, love LOVE the electric PTO on my 48" Gravely, so am almost completely convinced it's electric, or nothing, BUT...

I don't know if the manual mechanism for the JD 100 series is similar to the LT1000 or different and better, and not susceptible to getting jammed in the engaged position like the Craftsman, AND, if the electric PTO JD uses is as good as or similar to the one Gravely uses. If ANYONE around me had a new JD mower in stock, I'd be able to look at the mechanisms myself, but that's just not possible.

Any info would be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can easily replace the manual system with an electric one. it is just 2 pulleys a switch & a clutch retainer
Pulley size needs to be the same as the manual one
The alternator might need an upgrade because manual engines usually have a 5 Amp alternator that will not be able to keep up with the power draw.

D

Deleted member 97405

100 and 200 series are built for an expected 5-7 year lifespan. Deere does not hide that fact when speaking with their dealers. I would go for the X350, which has a 4 year warranty, and is built on a 10+ year lifespan before I bought a cheap 100 or 200 series and considered modifying it. But I've only worked at a Deere dealership since 1998 so I digress. Do what is best for you and good luck!