Electric starter not working old Snapper RER

Captn Cliffy

Threads
I have an old Snapper series 3 RER. B&S engine 280707-0128-01. Was using it, shut it off; pushed starter button and nothing. Tested battery, it's fully charged. Checked starter push-button switch, and it's good. If I check voltage from positive terminal on starter moter to ground, it's 12V when pressing starter button. Took jumper cables, and hooked positive to battery; touched other end to starter terminal - nothing. One thing I discovered in testing: there is 12V with positive voltmeter lead on positve battery terminal and negative meter lead on positive terminal on starter. In other words, there is continuity between the frame of the starter motor and the terminal stud where the positive cable from the battery attatches. Is this normal, or does this indicate a faulty starter? It has B&S 12V starter with 4-9/16" housing. Original starter would be 399169.

Romore

Threads
Check the blade and clutch interlock switches. Starters don't usually quit so suddenly.

Captn Cliffy

Threads
Thanks for the suggestion. The interlock switches are fine. I have a Snapper service manual, and if I'm looking at it correctly, the interlock switches simply ground the ignition, and are not part of the starter system. Even if the ignition was grounded, if you press the starter button, the starter motor should spin and engage the flywheel, but the engine wouldn't start. My problem is that the starter motor doesn't do anything when I press the starter button.

Ken Kegris

Threads
If you put the cables directly on the starter then the starter should have run, Try reaching in with a small screwdriver and turn the starter a little in case there is a flat or dead spot on the armature.

Captn Cliffy

Threads
Figured out the reason why the starter wouldn't do anything, and I'm embarrassed to say. The negative battery cable isn't really a cable, but a woven strap. I had checked for continuity, and it seemed fine, but further investigation found it bad (see picture). I replaced the negative cable, and it starts right up again.Bad Ground Strap.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Checking continuity is one thing. Checking under LOAD is another. Glad you found your issue. What, 20,000 yards of grass later and all you needed was a negative cable? Not bad.....

slomo