Echo SRM-230 trimmer won’t start after new carb

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Echo SRM-230 trimmer won’t start after new carb
Just throwing out things.

Echo in question does not have a gasket on each side of the carburetor. The air box side has no gasket.
View attachment 65608

Also there several serial numbers breaks so you need make sure you using the correct IPL for parts even they all use the same carb.
View attachment 65609
View attachment 65610
It’s very important to replace #11 and #14 when you are in there. Make sure those gaskets are oriented correctly.

Ezatnova

Threads
  • / Echo SRM-230 trimmer won’t start after new carb
Ah, I never took off the intake block to see gasket #14. Now I see in the diagram it matches the gasket I have left sitting on my bench lol. I’ll replace it when I can, but, good news for now is after tweaking the low and the high mixture screws it’s running great.

Couple other things

- it stinks after I ran it for 5 minutes and shut it down and it puffing smoke from the exhaust. It is a nasty smell similar to after I’ve installed new exhausts on cars and run them hard. I’m hoping this is just the new carb breaking in. It does not smell like oil or fuel. I think I remember the same smoke happening when I replaced the carb in my echo blower.

- one thing that I didn’t find easily on YouTube or google is the throttle cable length adjustment. When I installed the new carb, the cable would only pull the butterfly about 90% of the way. I noticed the long 8mm hex shaft piece that the cable went through right up at the top where the barrel on the cable latched in. I turned that shaft counter clockwise and it snugged up the cable so now I get 100% throttle movement.

curious to see how it does when I really use it next. Seems much improved and running strong in the quick test.