dual exhaust on briggs [delete tin sides???]

Digiacomo

Threads
Do i need to replace the tin on the sides of this v twin?? I'm installing twin stacks and this tin is a pain to deal with....I have open sides with an open frame built for the hood......I would think the open sides would be enough to keep the heat down???.....but you guys are the experts...... thanks for any opinions......

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I wouldn’t run the unit without them in place. You would be removing a lot of cooling air directly over the heads and block, plus lose of safety around a spinning flywheel.

Digiacomo

Threads
The fly wheel will be covered with the briggs hood. I'm talking about the tin side plates.........may I'll do a heat test before I start on the opposite side.....thanks for the comment,,,,,,

Digiacomo

Threads
The manufacturer doesn’t just put the side tins on an engine to make it pretty. It is there for cooling an air cooled engine.
I agree, but the manufacture also encloses the engine........I have just a skeleton tube frame on the sides and front I have only the hood hinged on the top of the engine cover......soooo when i get it running I will check the heat, with and without the tin.......I'll post the results, when I get the exhaust where I want it......

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I am with others on this deleting the tins would be a mistake. Even the large ZTR I work on have them for a reason. ANd when those engine get the air flow through those tins blocked the customer usually lose at least an expensive cylinder head. I got Z830aA in the shop awaiting a new head because of a mouse bed.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The sheet metal ducting is there for a reason. And that reason is to direct the air flow over the cylinder fins and head cooling fins. Removing them may not be as bad as having them blocked by debris, but will still not have the same effect on cooling.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had an older cub cadet with 22hp horizontal shaft engine in the shop this spring. Flywheel screen and cylinder fins completely clogged with cottonwood fluff. Owner ran it hard in tall grass and overheated it to the point it cooked the stick on label off the oil filter and ruined the crank seals and the crankcase gasket and he only stopped when the oil blowing out started smoking he said. I thought the engine would be toast but I tore it down and replaced all the seals and gaskets. Heads and valves were fine and so were the crank, rod and cylinder. Put it back together and it ran like new. Say what you want about Kohler but that old command surprised me.