Drivebelt falls off

puck550

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2016 regent xl with a 48"deck. The drive belt will fall off when I come to a stop and engage the parking brake. I have changed the belt twice and confirmed it is the right belt from the dealer. I initially thought the transmission was not aligned because of a possible missing bolt. I replace the bolt and confirmed that all fasteners are tight to spec. The pulley on top of the transmission is tight and looks to be in good shape. All other pulleys are tight and appear to be in good shape. If I turn off the mower prior to setting the park brake the belt will stay on. It drives fine and will occasionally throw the belt when shift from forward to reverse. I don't know what to do? Any Ideas???

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either your belt run is wrong or you are missing a belt keeper.
Should be a keeper on the Transmission pulley , another on the tensioning pulley and a third on the engine pulley.
My part book does not show the one over the engine pulley but it has to have one .
Best thing to do is to remove the deck completely.
To do this slip a pair of 2 x 4's under the deck then lower it onto them , undo it and slide it out using the 2 x 4's as rails.
Then get an assistant to clutch & declutch watching for where the tranny belt flips off.
The other thing to look for is the stabilizer on the tranny.
If missing it will roll slightly forward which can cuse the belt to toss off the tranny pulley & get stuck under the fan, even if the belt keeper is in place.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Really could stand with the model and serial numbers from the serial number tag.

Where is the belt coming off. As said probably a missing or belt belt keeper. Belt installer are bad about these around engine pulleys especially they are the made as part of the frame or just leave them off at other areas of the belt path. Also it can be the wrong length belt. I have seen this on one JD here where JD had the wrong serial number break on the IPL and they shorten the belt path on later models by an inch. Everytime I clutch that mower the belt came off at the engine.

enigma-2

Threads
I have a 2016 regent xl with a 48"deck. The drive belt will fall off when I come to a stop and engage the parking brake. I have changed the belt twice and confirmed it is the right belt from the dealer. I initially thought the transmission was not aligned because of a possible missing bolt. I replace the bolt and confirmed that all fasteners are tight to spec. Any Ideas???
Every figure this out? If not, because one of the transmission bolts had fell out, I check the see if the transmission may have changed position (slid forward?) and shortened the distance. This would loosen the belt (sightly) and may be more than the idler tensioner can compensate for.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or it could be like one JD here where they had the wrong serial number break and you need a belt that is 1" shorter.