Export thread

does these spindle bearings look ok

U

ugabulldog

I replaced both bearings and added grease to new bearing not sure if it is possible to over grease, but I don't feel like I did. There is no play side to side, this is how pulley is spinning now. Does this look ok in video below, blade is still attached. If not, not sure what to do except replace mandral shaft that comes with new bearings, spindle can't go bad right?. Maybe I bent shaft trying to get old bearing off by cranking bearing in bench vise and hit top of spindle (with nut on threads) to separate from old bearing. I ended up breaking outer bearing with vice and then had to put inner bearing in vice and used same method to separate from shaft

First video on link:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009751811141

P

Pumper54

Requires log in to your account. Any way to post the video from another source?

Tom

U

ugabulldog

Requires log in to your account. Any way to post the video from another source?

Tom

https://youtu.be/QMaXFcdAjNo

B

bertsmobile1

yes they are shot.
Do the whole lot
6203 & 6204, common bearings.
Buy then from a mower shop, or bearing shop or auto parts shop.
There is more to a bearing than the dimensions.
You can get the above bearings is shopping trolley grade for 20¢ each to $ 5-00 each on the web.
They will collapse and cost a new belt and in some case trash the deck or break the spindle housing.

The most counterfitted item is not expensive brand name watches, it is bearings

U

ugabulldog

Thanks, Do the letters/numbers behind 6203 6204 matter on bearings or are they all the same? What are good brands of bearings? I assume the ones that come with mandrals are cheap ones also? like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PK-Mandra...7646-Stens-285-464-130794-133172/362289017103

B

bertsmobile1

The letters tell you if the bearing has rubber seals RS or 2 RS or metal seals Z or ZZ and then if there is a C? the fit.
Yours should be 2 RS or ZZ, makes little difference in a spindle.
IF those are genuine Stens then they should be fine.
I fit a lot of Stens parts and they come with a 12 month warranty down here.
However no guarantee that anything bought off ebay or amazon is genuine & not fake.
Stens have a web site with parts listed and prices ( if you log in ).
If that price seems too good to be true then it isn't true.

P

Pumper54

Thank you. I would replace the bearings.
Tom

S

SidecarFlip

Past done and the spindles are probably eaten up as well.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I say his wore out bearings are better than your new chinese junk!!!!!!

B

bertsmobile1

I say his wore out bearings are better than your new chinese junk!!!!!!

Scrubby
This was not a post it was an advertisement ad a sneak insertion of a hot link
The thread is a year old.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

The letters tell you if the bearing has rubber seals RS or 2 RS or metal seals Z or ZZ and then if there is a C? the fit.
Yours should be 2 RS or ZZ, makes little difference in a spindle.
IF those are genuine Stens then they should be fine.
I fit a lot of Stens parts and they come with a 12 month warranty down here.
However no guarantee that anything bought off ebay or amazon is genuine & not fake.
Stens have a web site with parts listed and prices ( if you log in ).
If that price seems too good to be true then it isn't true.

Side question. The bearing I need are 6204 RK. What does the RK mean?

B

bertsmobile1

Go to the bearing makers catalogue and have a look.
Not familiar with a "K" other than to designate a plastic cage but in that case it would be between the 4 and the R
Where did you find that ?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Go to the bearing makers catalogue and have a look.
Not familiar with a "K" other than to designate a plastic cage but in that case it would be between the 4 and the R
Where did you find that ?

On the rubber bearing cover.

BTW, when bearings are just starting to make a noise, what's a good grease to put back in them. I've been using some high temp stuff. Obviously new ones are better. But sometimes, it's a quick "get me by."

B

bertsmobile1

Timken do a sealed bearing grease but do not put too much in there , they are not high load tapered rollers.
It is a bit heavier than petrolium jelly.
But a noisy bearing is gone.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Timken do a sealed bearing grease but do not put too much in there , they are not high load tapered rollers.
It is a bit heavier than petrolium jelly.
But a noisy bearing is gone.

A friend of mine, who has diabetes gave me a couple of needles the other day. Today I had a chance to try out my idea. Fill them with grease and try to squirt it in the bearing, without taking the seal off. (along the inner edge) But it didn't work out too well. The needle was just too small. The grease would come out. But man, it was slow. By the time I could do one bearing, I could take the seals off 10 and put them back together.

A bigger needle might work. Just gotta remember to make sure and stick the upper side of the bearing.