Does my steering plate / section gear need replacing

ZackGV

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Does my steering plate / section gear need replacing
Can anybody tell from the photo below if my steering plate needs to be replaced? (I think the teeth in the center look shorter and the gaps look wider than the ones on the end; but, I'd like a second, more experienced opinion before I tackle the task.)

This is from a GT1554. The steering as been sloppy for a few years. Last week, it started slipping, so I replaced the pinion gear and bushing. That fixed the slipping, but I can still turn the wheel quite a ways before the steering "catches". Looking underneath, there is still a lot of play between the pinion and the plate, even though the new bushing is holding the steering shaft in place. Does it look like a new steering plate will fix this sloppiness, or is that just a limitation of the mower that I should live with?

If I do replace the steering plate, should I get the $65 one from Cub Cadet, or will the $25 ones on Amazon be almost as good

Attachments

• gear1.jpg
    gear1.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 10

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How does the gear on the steering shaft look. If I replace one I replace both parts.

ZackGV

Forum Newbie
Threads
How does the gear on the steering shaft look. If I replace one I replace both parts.
The pinion gear looked fine. I couldn't see much difference between the one on the mower and the new one that came with the kit. The bushing was clearly worn.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Might just have to replace the bushing, but you will have to disassemble most of the other parts to get to it. Most good techs replace all three as they don’t want it coming back and labor is almost exactly the sam. You’ll have to make that decision on your own.

ZackGV

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a trick to replacing the steering plate? From what I can tell, that take *a lot* more work because the pivot bolt for the steering plate is on top of another plate that is connected to the brake and throttle assembly. I can do that. I just want to make sure that it is worth it. (i.e., that the GT 1554 doesn't have sloppy steering under the best of circumstances.)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No real trick, but the first time you do one you can get frustrated easily. I’ve done it so many times I just realize that patience is my friend and I have a variety of different length wrenches to get up in there. How high you can get the unit up to get your hands in there makes a difference. An assistant is also a plus. Difficulty level for a novice is probably a 6, 10 being toughest. Really depends on your mechanical skill level and patience level.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For doing these I stand the mower vertical on it's bum
So much easier than being on your knees or back
Block off the fuel cap & remove the battery to prevent spills & remove the hood
The fan gear pivot hole wears oval and some mowers have a bush for the fan gear while others use a shouldered bolt
These also need replacing
All of the moving parts need to be kept lubed with a dry lubricant like spray chassis grease