Snow blower Does it work?

Metz17

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been offered a JD 170 14hp with a snow blower attachment. I live in Central New England - so snow is an issue, we just had the blizzard 24 inches of snow. Does this tractor have enough power to operate the blower in a storm like this? I have an old Ariens snow thower but I am looking to make life easier for an old guy.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are on the edge of yes it will work and no it won't. A couple of questions first. Is the blower a single stage or two stage and what size is it. Does it have chains and wheel weights? A single stage blower is going to take more power than a two stage, which means you'll push more and throw less. If you don't have chains and weights, you will do a lot of slipping and sliding if you try to move more than 6" of wet heavy snow. How are you going to use it and will you have room to maneuver around. Because you lack power, a blower over 32" is going to get you frustrated very fast. I can't answer these questions, so I can't say whether it is worth it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 12 hp. model 312H Wheelhorse with a single stage snow blower. Now being a hydro it takes some power away also. It not lacking in power at all. Deep heavy wet snow snow I have to cut back on the speed of the tractor and take smaller bits. Light fluffy snow I can take full bites and go as fast as the tractor will go. The other spot that it is working very hard is where the town snowplow makes a high bank bank at the end of a driveway especially if it sets for a few days or weeks. I think you will find that none of the walkbehinds thave that much power. You wouldn't be sorry you got it because I am also a old guy in my 70s.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Reynoldston, I think comparing your 312H Wheelhorse with a JD 170 is unfair to your old gal. She'll do more and better work than 75% of the units that were built in the last 10 years. She had one of the best engine to transmission combos ever put together. If you disrespect her, she may get back at you, at your age you should know better. I am concerned if that transmission in that 170 can stand up to a single stage blower with weights.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know you can't compare the two tractors. But he was asking if the 14 HP would be enough power to run the snow blower. I don't see why not. Will the peerless transmission hold up or the Kawasaki engine good question?? I am not a great fan of Kawasaki engines or peerless transmissions. yes he would need wheel weights and tire chains My old wheel horse is well cared for and the only oil I have ever used in it is Amsoil. Yes the Kohler magnum is a old work horse but the design of the engine wasn't made for power with the flat head design. I don't know how horse power is rated but the newer engines seem to have higher HP and the reason I think is all in the design of the newer engines. Back in the early 50s the top HP engines were less then 5 HP on garden tractors. How I know this is my father sold them and yes they had snow blower attachments back then.