Do you have to align the bendix on a starter?

SimpRegent

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since I removed my starter, now the starter spins then there is a loud clank and the engine starts. Do you have to align a bendix so it hits the flywheel correctly?

earthworm

Threads
I THINK so ..Never had to do this with automobiles ..But I look at the Simplicity and I see shims . Do secure a consensus.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes very much so and automobiles also. As a rule you don't have to align starters but every once in a wile you have one that is out of alignment.

SimpRegent

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes very much so and automobiles also. As a rule you don't have to align starters but every once in a wile you have one that is out of alignment.

Any idea of how to align it? I cannot move the bendix when mounted to see if it meshes to the flywheel correctly (that I can tell due to the mounting bracket)...
I have googled alignment procedure it without any hits.

Thanks for the replies!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The discussion is useless, unless we have a clue what you have, and why you even tried to replaced the starter!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well if it now spins, starts, then clanks..... How would that be an alignment issue? Sounds like a problem in the starter, but since Simplicity never made an engine or starter, we don't have a lot to go on!!!

SimpRegent

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well if it now spins, starts, then clanks..... How would that be an alignment issue? Sounds like a problem in the starter, but since Simplicity never made an engine or starter, we don't have a lot to go on!!!

"Since I removed my starter, now the starter spins then there is a loud clank and the engine starts"
The LOUD clank/crack is when I believe the bendix gear hits the flywheel, the she starts.

And YES, I am waiting on a new starter, just wanted to make sure I have covered all of the bases, especially when the new starter arrives, I want to make sure it is installed correctly (if there was/is an alignment issue).

I would also like to fix the original starter since the one I ordered is not an original Kohler so I will be prepared for the next....

She's only about 13 years old and other that this and a coil problem (oh and a seal from the hydro from putting it in neutral so I could push it), she has been great! Much better than I can say about some cars that I have had!!!!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I align starter with car front end alignment shims. I have used flat washers in a pinch also. The shims go between the starter housing and the engine block. You a can shim the starter gear closer or farther from the flywheel gear this way by tilting the starter.