Export thread

Do we all need to round up our Roundup?

B

bertsmobile1

No
We need to treat ALL POISONS with respect.
How many people spray Round-up with bare hands ?
Splash it around the place when mixing ?

Note he was doused with the product on 2 occasions.
SO the safety precautions printed on the pack had not been followed.

Considering the hundreds of millions of people who use the product daily I can not see it being a problem.
The difficulty is humans are not cloned ( well not yet anyway ) so we are all different.
So just like tobacco smoke there will be a percentage of the population that will get cancer just looking at the bottle while other could bathe in it daily without problems.

Unfortunately familiarity breeds contempt so people ignore the manditory safety precautions.
Wear gloves, dust masks & wash and spillage of skin immediately wash contaminated cloths separate to other cloths.

Walk around your suburb on any afternoon and see how many idiots are dancing around their property in shorts, thongs & singlets spraying chemical around with gay abandon.

Down here the employer would also have been the co-defendent as obviously Mr Johnson was not properly trained or supervised but suing a school is considered bad form.
Now Monsanto is a big company which lots of practices that could be called unethical at best and criminal at worst
Thus every lawyer who sees themselves as the self styled saviour of humanity would be chaffing at the bit to mount a case against the "devil".
Which is fine for them as you don't need glyco in you 25 th floor penthouse and those on acerage get "lessers" to that menial dirty stuff .

The downside to this story is glyco ends up being scheduled or even banned so the price goes up and we then have to go back to using 15 different highly toxic herbicides to replace it.
Or go back to chipping & pulling weeds.

R

Rivets

Look at the state the lawsuit was in. Courts there cost everyone across the county money because they think they know better. Would be best if they did secede from the union as they say they want to do. Yes I’m conical, I still have have Midwest, German heritage values, and grew up trusting my neighbors.

MowerMark

MowerMark

Are you conical or comical?

Should we all stock up on RoundUp® now ?

cpurvis

cpurvis

Hopefully that ridiculous award will be set aside.

MowerMark

MowerMark

Wish we knew all the "facts" upon which the jury relied.

D

deminin

I use a Generic form of Roundup...I buy it from a local farm store for a fraction of the cost of buying the Brand name at the stores. I use it on my long gravel driveway a couple of times per year to keep the driveway from turning into a weed bed. However, when I get ready to "spray", I make sure the wind is calm, and I mix it carefully into the sprayer, and even wear a "painters" mask so as to not breathe in any of the fumes. Like anything else, if a person uses common sense, and follows the instructions, the risks are minimal.

I wear rubber gloves & safety glasses also. I just sprayed today in fact. Should be good for 2 months if not more, depending on the rains.

B

bertsmobile1

Problem is there are some in authority who can not accept the fact that people are dumb.
They tried to breed dumbness out in the 50's & 60's but eventually Eugenics petered out.
So now the management class who believe things will happen because they say it will happen think they can legislate stupidity into oblivion .

I would think an appeal is already in the works.

jekjr

jekjr

If it were that dangerous I know several people that would have died long ago. Myself being one of them. We spray generic brand Glyophosphate all of the time and have been spilled on and caught up in the mist ect many many many times.

California courts reported on by CNN enough said.

MowerMark

MowerMark

Well that didn't take long. Hard to fight those deep pockets the co. has.

MowerMark

MowerMark

Well that didn't take long. Hard to fight those deep pockets the co. has.

"The ball game ain't over until the fat lady sings"

S

SidecarFlip

Problem is there are some in authority who can not accept the fact that people are dumb.
They tried to breed dumbness out in the 50's & 60's but eventually Eugenics petered out.
So now the management class who believe things will happen because they say it will happen think they can legislate stupidity into oblivion .

There you go.... I spray Roundup Ultra or the generic version all the time as well as Amine 2-4-D in my 150 gallon mounted sprayer but with any pesticide / herbicide I wear proper PPE. I do have a certified applicators license which allows me to by chemicals the average Joe cannot.

Dumbass people should never play with chemicals.

"The ball game ain't over until the fat lady sings"

Very true.

BlazNT

BlazNT

There you go.... I spray Roundup Ultra or the generic version all the time as well as Amine 2-4-D in my 150 gallon mounted sprayer but with any pesticide / herbicide I wear proper PPE. I do have a certified applicators license which allows me to by chemicals the average Joe cannot.

Dumbass people should never play with chemicals.

But they are dumb and do not know any better.:laughing:

S

SidecarFlip

Probably not dumb, just don't read the cautionary labeling that is required on every jug. People don't bother t read instructions or manuals today because we live in a gotta have it now society and why bother to read instructions because forums like this exist to help the blind and self illeterate along. Cannot spell either as evidenced by threads on this site and others.

Some of the threads /posts on this site require deciphering for content....lol

B

bertsmobile1

I will go with that.
More lazy than dumb
Which in itself is dumb
Their is an air of arrogance that is common to all peoples of all nations & all religions save a few natives and buddhists ,
So we are special, humanity is a higher from of life and we are important to the planet if not the universe, where as in reality all 3 are wrong.

Companies ( who some how are not people despite the fact that they are just a group of people ) are the evil entities trying to destroy people for their own greedy gain.

There are two problems but the court can not recognise either of them
1) we are not all identical despite the fact that the law pretends we all are.
2) we are not the creations of any God in the image of that God yet all courts base their concept of truth by swearing to a God .

BlazNT

BlazNT

I have not gone through all the precautions on the label but I can tell you I would never spray it into the wind. I would never leave any that got on my skin on it for very long. I would not breathe it in. These are common sense.

B

bertsmobile1

So how many people have died or been injured by round up ?
So how many people have died or been injured by firearms ?
Banning which one would save the most lives & injuries ?

S

SidecarFlip

So how many people have died or been injured by round up ?

Don't know, really don't care.....
So how many people have died or been injured by firearms ?

In your case that is moot. In OZ gun control is a national thing.....:smile:

Banning which one would save the most lives & injuries ?

Good question. Like Forrest Gump said, Stupid does as stupid is....

When I apply any pesticide or herbicide (and I apply a lot, I have activated carbon filters on my cab tractor and when I use the wand for spot spraying. long sleeves and a resperator is the norm.

I know what the stuff does, I use 2-4-D all the time. Same stuff that was used in Namn (agent orange). Great defoilator Paraquat is. To be state certified you have to know and practice safge handling and application methods.

MowerMark

MowerMark

B

bigred77

Re: Jurors want the Judge to NOT reduce the judgement

Looks like another case that proves that a judge is given too much power and can be corrupted under the table

1 Lucky Texan

Skeptoid podcast about glyphosate and 'behavioral economics'

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/skeptoid-en/skeptoid-4676-ads.mp3

B

bertsmobile1

preaching to the converted in my case.
for a easy example, look at every oil thread.
I am yet to find some one on an oil thread who has done more study into oils than I have, and for me it was 1 term ( 13 weeks) for 2 hours a week and included coolants , surficants & cutting fluids.

Back in my college days , the anti-uranium debate was running rampant down here.
With a couple of friends used go greenie baiting by joining the groups then asking people one at a time ;_
" what are you majoring your BA in ? "
"How do you know I am doing a BA ?" was the usual answer
"Because if you were studying science you would not be here making a idiot of yourself " was our response
About 1 in 50 would then ask for us to clarify why we thought they were making idiots of themselves .
The other 49 became abusive.

Now these were college studients , supposedly the brightest, best informed of their generation .
Now that was near 50 years ago and the 49ers are now all executives and high office holders in government.
So I will expect round up being banned down here some time in the future.

There is no power on the planet stronger than the army of the highly emotional uninformed masses.

B

bogdaN

I use Roundup for about 30 years around my house.Just following direction and thanks doing OK.Dan

They include instructions for a good reason.

tom3

tom3

I've always assumed that this stuff, mixed properly, is so weak and used once or twice a year is harmless to the average consumer. Much like eating microwave popcorn once in a while.

B

bertsmobile1

It is totally safe, that was the whole point of it.
It only affects plants.
It brakes down into 3 compounds that are also harmless ( one is water ).
There is no way for it to bio accumulate and there is no way for an animal to process it.
If you drink it , you can not adsorb nor digest it so it gets urinated back out.
However if you breathe it in , the particles can get stuck in your lungs, like rubber dust from tyres or pollen from flowers.
In your body your digestion system will recognise it as being foreign and may cause you to throw up.
There is no link between Glyco & non-hodgkinson's lymphoma apart from the fact that several people who came down with Lymphoma had been exposed to Glyco.
They all had been exposed to hundreds of other known castnogens as well.
So the one & one only study deduced that their might be a causal link.
This was not an actual medical study, just a paperwork correlation looking for things that people who had non-hodgkinsons lymphoma had all been exposed to.
They had all been exposed to air , tyre dust, chloro-flourocarbons and a pile of other things as well.
But just a hint is enough to raise doubts in the totally scientifically illeterate and remember Monsanto is the devil and the lawers will get somewhere between 10 % & 50 % of the payout.
In the mean time, the risk adverse government authorities will look at it & decide that they could be held liable ( for some thing that can not happen ) so will ban it because the insurance companies will see it as a reason to quadruple insurance premiums.

1 Lucky Texan

a lawsuit is far removed from actual, repeatable, peer-reviewed scientific clinical trials. It's often a lot of greed and other emotions.

correlation is not equal to causation, MANY people have used g'sate and not acquired lymphoma. laboratory animals can be exposed to huge chronic and acute exposures without getting ill. One extrapolation from lab animals indicates table salt is almost twice as acutely toxic as g'sate.

That's not to say that one should not be careful with chemicals. Nor, are lawsuits and the threat of lawsuits not without merit for keeping us safer. But one European alteration to list of 'possible' carcinogens is what started this. Not scientific testing - just a change in paperwork as said above. And, the 2 herbicides they suggest to replace g'sate are somewhat more toxic.

I think all the lawsuits will be subject to appeal ??? and maybe different juries will feel differently or some brave Judges will overturn prev. awards.