Do carburetors need servicing ?

Black Bart

Threads
"Salesmen" is a rather timeworn term to describe someone who puts a lot of miles on their vehicle after start up. What about the Fuller Brush guy who goes door to door? Just being silly here. However, cold starts in winter are more severe, because of the condensation issue. Motor oil is supposed to cling to engine parts to protect them during start ups with a lack of oil pressure, but if you neglect changing your oil, that makes the situation worse as contaminated oil has less lubricating ability.

Water would be a bigger problem in long term storage than a small amount in the oil while running.
The new PCMO has less ZDDP and low viscosity so it drains off and cold starts are going to be hard on the engine if it has been sitting for long duration.
People who start an engine to just run it awhile and shut ti down are doing more harm than good.

If the battery is low put a charger on it don't start the engine to charge it.

benski

Threads
I usually start things up in order to mow my lawn and pick up leaves at least once a month during my "off" season.:wink:

Giles

Threads
"Salesmen" is a rather timeworn term to describe someone who puts a lot of miles on their vehicle after start up. What about the Fuller Brush guy who goes door to door? Just being silly here. However, cold starts in winter are more severe, because of the condensation issue. Motor oil is supposed to cling to engine parts to protect them during start ups with a lack of oil pressure, but if you neglect changing your oil, that makes the situation worse as contaminated oil has less lubricating ability.

contaminated oil has less lubricating ability---And that is exactly why it should not be started and run for a short time:thumbdown::thumbdown: