Engine dixon ztr fuel problem

dixonj

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a ztr 4424 with a kohler cv15s-41544 engine and it's not getting fuel

if i remove the air filter and pour a little fuel in it'll start fine and run until it runs out of gas

when i used it last week, it dies on me everytime i tried to cut on a downhill slope in nearly the same spot

i replaced the fuel filter, didn't help

I'm thinking it's either fuel line, fuel pump, or carb

i'm not advanced so could anyone offer any advice on where to start first?

I'm thinking fuel line would be the best bet but it looks like it's really tough to get to it and I'm not sure how to get to it.

thanks for any help

lonestarjeff

Threads
If I recall your 4424 has the similar fuel tank up front design as my 4423. The design has a long rubber fuel hose running back the the fuel pump mounted on the side of the engine. Between general aging & the ethanol in todays fuels the hose gets brittle & develops hairline cracks. The cracks won't allow the pump to maintain enough suction to keep the fuel flowing.

Mine always became brittle toward the rear, I guess due to engine heat. I spliced in a new section maybe 3 times over 15 years.

Jeff

John184

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are a few things I have found that can cause your problem:
I agree with lonestarjeff regarding the ethanol problem.
Fuel just isn't like it was years ago.
I suggest replacing the fuel line once a season, I have found they rubber turns gooey inside.
Use FRESH gas - don't keep it over one week especially on the smaller engines, string trimmers, chain saws, etc.
If you store it in red plastic gas cans keep them OUT of the SUN.
I was told by a factory warranty rep. that red plastic gas cans stored in the sun for more than a couple of hours causes the fuel to "spoil" or go stale so to speak.
Last - check your fuel cap for a venting problem.
I had 3 fuel tank caps & 1 fuel tank replaced on a Husqvarna LGT2554 before we found the vent getting plugged with dust.
It can not be cleaned out - just replaced.
I drilled a hole in the cap & inserted an air vent into it. - Problems solved.
Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here are a few things I have found that can cause your problem:
I agree with lonestarjeff regarding the ethanol problem.
Fuel just isn't like it was years ago.
I suggest replacing the fuel line once a season, I have found they rubber turns gooey inside.
Use FRESH gas - don't keep it over one week especially on the smaller engines, string trimmers, chain saws, etc.
If you store it in red plastic gas cans keep them OUT of the SUN.
I was told by a factory warranty rep. that red plastic gas cans stored in the sun for more than a couple of hours causes the fuel to "spoil" or go stale so to speak.
Last - check your fuel cap for a venting problem.
I had 3 fuel tank caps & 1 fuel tank replaced on a Husqvarna LGT2554 before we found the vent getting plugged with dust.
It can not be cleaned out - just replaced.
I drilled a hole in the cap & inserted an air vent into it. - Problems solved.
Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

dixonj,
I agree with every recommendation by users lonestarjeff & john184 with one caveat. Instead of replacing your fuel lines every year, just use non-ethanol 89 octane(mid-grade) gas if you can find it locally and add Sta-bill additive as an extra precautionary step.