Disappointed with the lack of Tech support for Scag.

Mr. Jeff 01

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Disappointed with the lack of Tech support for Scag.
Good Evening. This is my first post on the forum. I’m not new to zero turns or working on them. The company I worked for decided to go with a different mower (Scag) then our normal mower brand all the other branches have. I’m very regretting buying a Scag Turf Tiger 2 zero turn. I called Tech support and the person couldn’t give me part numbers or would be willing to look up the part or assist me with any of my questions? I was told because they can’t see the problem or issue first hand and told me to go to the dealer because they have more experience and have better knowledge of what to look for and will troubleshoot the problem easier. I was asking for an oil filter number and the grease part numbers and what kind of oil for the gear box? Nothing broken just a Tune up after 68 hours on our machine. I don’t care how of a good machine you have if there’s no Good tech support or Good customer support to help you in a pinch or help you find parts then your product to me is not worth my time. Sorry if my first post sounds like a rant. I feel at a lose. I would love to sell the turf, Tiger 2 but, am afraid I will loose to much money even though it’s almost brand new. Yes I got some paper work but, very minimal info on the questions and parts I need. So where do I go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you supply us with the number off the units ID tag and all engine numbers, the knowledgeable tech on this forum should be able to find you answers to all your questions.

Mr. Jeff 01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Awesome that’s why I signed up to this forum. Also It’s a vanguard briggs and stratton v twin engine. The unit blew the main fuse after 20 hours and the dealer said put a new one in. So I did and no issues after 48 hours? Go figure? Thanks again for your help. Am not at work but, can give you the numbers off the machine in the next few days. Thanks Jeff

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK,
I answered the fuse question in your previous post .
I have no Turf Tigers in my service run but the engine will use the std B & S oil filter .
Vanguards by default are fitted with the B & S Short filter #842921 ( there is over 20 different numbers for this filter ).
I usually fit a B & S long filter # 491056 if it will fit as I buy them in manufacturers trade packs which are loose packed with no plastic cover so will rust if left sitting around for too long
Do not over think it most mower oil filters are 3/4 x 16 UPP 25µ to 30µ ≈ 10 psi pressure relief & anti drain valve fitted so will interchange provided that the machined surface is in contact with the sealing ring .
The transmission filter is a transmission manufacturers part, not a Scag part but the specification section of the owners manual stipulates a 10µ spin on filter and section 7 specifies 20w50 engine oil.
My Stens manual lists Scag # 48758 ( stens # 120-818 ) as the transmission filter 1" x 12 UPP , 10µ 10 PSI pressure valve , anti drain back valve .
For trannys it is worthwhile spending the extra and using a synthetic engine oil .

As for customer service, you are not Scags customer, the dealers & direct orderers are their customers .
A bit hard for some to get their heads around
So you are the dealers customer thus they refferal to your dealer
Customer service costs money which pushes the retail price up and can easily add a grand per mower to small volume manufacturers .
One of the reasons why Toro & JD are so much more expensive , because some one has to pay for the room full of people answering the phone & replying to emails let alone thethe massive warehouses full of slow moving parts .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And you can just as easily look up the parts yourself at the following site.

https://www.scagoemparts.com/scag-turf-tiger-parts

Just be aware customer support nowadays are just not knowledgeable about the products like they use to be. Heck being a dealer looking for help is not much better either.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would love to sell the turf, Tiger 2 but, am afraid I will loose to much money even though it’s almost brand new.
Selling now would hurt, since the Warranty is NOT transferable, like many brands.. I think ya just need to give the machine a chance.

Mr. Jeff 01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you everyone for answered my post and this gives me a lot to think about? Yes I will give the machine a chance and more run time. I’m a huge fan or trouble shooting and trying to figure out problems or issues before I take it into the deal. Most time it’s a becauseI don’t have the right tools and my company will not supply them so off to the dealer it goes. I would also love a lift instead of using a jack with jack stands. Also this is true about someone answering the phones and prices go up on the machines and just kinda forgot due to the other zero turn company always there at a drop of a dime. Thanks everyone again. Be blessed. Jeff

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I could comment how employers treat their repair personnel but I will not.

For ZTRs a lift to raise front end, jack and jack stands is all I have here for working these for the last 14 yrs. And definitely make you use those stands and not just the jack.

And what worst is that I am a better repairman than the dealer's techs a lot of the time. The last warrantied item I took to the local dealer the tech couldn't even repair it, just sent it back saying nothing was wrong with it after keeping for three weeks. He couldn't even find a bad spark plug that was causing the two cycle engine to diesel. I had to repair it myself for my customer.

And yes I have nearly 10K invested in tools now but it was a slow process of just what I needed at the time it was needed. Some tools are used daily and other are rarely used.

And another tool many employers don't think about is your knowledge or if they do they become afraid of you.

mrbill11

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have emailed Scag twice with a question since my purchase and have gotten a phone call that same day from them with answers to my questions , very personable

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good to hear
Please get back with the final outcome